FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH2 Lenses for Filmmaking, Web Videos and Green Screen Projects

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Howie Young
GH2 Lenses for Filmmaking, Web Videos and Green Screen Projects
on Dec 18, 2012 at 7:55:55 pm

Greetings,

I'm seeking recommendations for some good Panasonic lenses to use with the GH2 for shooting web videos, green screen projects, and dramatic film work? If not Panasonic, what other brands would you also recommend? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: GH2 Lenses for Filmmaking, Web Videos and Green Screen Projects
on Dec 18, 2012 at 10:49:42 pm

Your budget will determine a lot. I've shot lots of corporate talking head stuff with a vintage 35mm f2 Nikkor adapted to my GH2. The lens was $200 or so and the adapter was $75 I think. I have the kit zoom that came with my GH2, but I don't use it for much. It's pretty slow. If you want a fast (f2) zoom, then look at Olympus; but you are talking $2- $2.5k for those babies. Panasonic has some slightly slower (f2.8) zooms in the $1k range. I just got the Panasonic 25mm (50mm equivalent) f1.4 AF lens ($500). That thing is fast and sweet. Anyway, there are a ton of good lenses you could use. How much do you want to spend?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 18, 2012 at 11:12:17 pm

jason is right, for green screen, the best is shallow depth of field to make the green a beautiful out of focus blur, not sharp to see fuzzies. For this, you'll need at least 2.8 f-stop. How bout a stovepipe?

Return to posts index

Howie Young
on Dec 19, 2012 at 2:00:51 am

Hi Chris,

Are there any 2.8 f-stop lenses you can recommend? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Howie Young
on Dec 19, 2012 at 1:58:20 am

Hi Jason,

Thanks for responding to my post. I'm new to DSLR filmmaking and not really sure how Panasonic lenses are priced. The $2-$2.5k for an Olympus lens would be out of my budget. I would prefer something that isn't terribly expensive, economical and definitely usable for green screen as well as being able to be used for stills.

What have you shot with the Panasonic 25mm - stills or video? Is this the official model # - Panasonic Lumix G Micro 4/3 LEICA DG SUMMILUX 25mm f/1.4 Leica Aspherical Lens?

Which kit lens did you get - the 14-42mm or the 14-140mm? When you say it is a slow lens do you mean the time it takes to auto-focus or zoom in?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Dec 19, 2012 at 2:02:26 pm

Hi Howie - welcome to the world of GH2 filmmaking! I don't want to answer for Jason or Chris - but I can't afford $1000+ Panasonic 12-35 or 35-100 f2.8 lenses (or Oly f2.0) either, so I shoot with Olympus 4/3 f2.8-3.5 zooms such as the $600 Oly 14-54 II f2.8-3.5. With the MA1 adapter it is fully compatible with your GH2. This is a fabulous lens.

AS far as kit lenses go - I have the 14-140 - great outdoor lens, but I can vouch for the fact that it is slow. I don't even pull it out of the bag indoors any more.

Hope this is helpful and best of the holidays,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Howie Young
on Dec 19, 2012 at 5:42:46 pm

[Bill Bruner] " I shoot with Olympus 4/3 f2.8-3.5 zooms such as the $600 Oly 14-54 II f2.8-3.5. With the MA1 adapter it is fully compatible with your GH2. This is a fabulous lens."

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your feedback and for sharing the Amazon link to the Olympus lens. Would I be able to use this lens for both video and still photography?

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Dec 19, 2012 at 5:51:24 pm

Yes - the great thing about hybrid cameras is that quality lenses work equally well for stills and video :)

Cheers,

Bill

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Dec 19, 2012 at 3:53:54 pm

[Howie Young] "What have you shot with the Panasonic 25mm - stills or video? Is this the official model # - Panasonic Lumix G Micro 4/3 LEICA DG SUMMILUX 25mm f/1.4 Leica Aspherical Lens?"

Yes, that's the lens. I've only had it for a week and I've mostly just taken pictures of the kids with it!

[Howie Young] "Which kit lens did you get - the 14-42mm or the 14-140mm? When you say it is a slow lens do you mean the time it takes to auto-focus or zoom in?"

I have the 14-140. It's slow, as in a narrow maximum aperture (f4-5.8) The bigger the fstop numbers, the smaller the aperture, the more light that's required. The smaller the fstop numbers, the larger the aperture, (like f1.4), the more light the lens takes in, which means less light required. I hope that makes sense!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Howie Young
on Dec 19, 2012 at 5:39:13 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "I have the 14-140. It's slow, as in a narrow maximum aperture (f4-5.8) The bigger the fstop numbers, the smaller the aperture, the more light that's required. The smaller the fstop numbers, the larger the aperture, (like f1.4), the more light the lens takes in, which means less light required. I hope that makes sense!"

Jason,

It does make sense. Does the f-stop # affect the focus time?

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Dec 19, 2012 at 7:27:18 pm

"Does the f-stop # affect the focus time?"

No - this lens focuses very quickly with the GH2 or the GH3.

Return to posts index

Howie Young
GH2’s still photo image quality
on Dec 19, 2012 at 6:05:12 pm

My next question...

How would you rate the GH2’s still photo image quality? Some photographers have informed me the quality isn't as good as Canon or Nikon cameras? Does anyone have a photo album they can share of the GH2 photos? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: GH2’s still photo image quality
on Dec 20, 2012 at 10:33:22 am

Howie - The GH2 is a great still camera. I especially like the range of lenses I can use with it.

Here is what I have personally done with it:

Taken with GH2, a $199 Tamron 70-300mm (Nikon mount)and a $21 adapter: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KUNuhXaxrsQ/T4snSiufm2I/AAAAAAAAFRc/dsUo...

Taken with GH2, Olympus 11-22 (4/3 mount), and an adapter: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-eMWMnkFVjww/UDNtU-gzB3I/AAAAAAAAFwk/Z8Sp...

Taken with the GH2, Olympus 11-22 (4/3 mount), and an adapter: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qg-RmmPIu_s/UDNuJqgmZ_I/AAAAAAAAFxo/z4xj...

And here are some stills from the GH2's Flickr pool: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1559566@N21/pool/

This camera is an absolute steal at $499.

Cheers and best of the holy-days :)

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]