FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5D features

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
Canon 5D features
on Dec 14, 2012 at 12:00:56 am

I am going to shoot a TV program using two Canons 5D. One is MKII, the second is MKIII. I want to record audio directly into MKIII to save days of syncing time. I want to connect two audio sources: microport and external boom mic.

- would you rely on recording audio only to MKIII or rather use dual system (recorder + going directly)?
- do you have any experiences with Juicedlink? What is the audio quality with this hardware?
- has anyone used dual system (connecting mics with XLRs to the recorder and then through mini-jack output-input to DSLR? what recorder is the best for such solution?
- does MKIII has any audio limiter (auto mode) to prevent from distortion?
- can you genlock SMPTE into MKIII for multicam shoot?

Thanks for answers.

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: Canon 5D features
on Dec 14, 2012 at 9:26:19 am

I will never recommend recording audio on a DSLR. No genlock. Try Zoom H4N. Get a good sound guy.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
on Dec 14, 2012 at 10:43:28 am

However Sareesh, have you tested recording on Canon 5D mark III?

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Dec 14, 2012 at 3:37:11 pm

No, Grzegorz. Check out my post on the subject: http://wolfcrow.com/blog/comprehensive-guide-to-rigging-any-camera-13-audio...

Hope this helps.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Dec 14, 2012 at 2:13:34 pm

Dual system is always best, IMHO.
But,
Mkiii does have agc limiter, but i have not used it for pro work. Not true limiter. Unless i've missed something.
Mkiii has timecode but i don't believe it is in. Check the online manuals. My guess is out only. Does do rec run.
I have done dual systems with a SD mixpre. Works fine. Practice first.
No experience with juicelink.
A sample of audio directly into the mkiii using a wired lav is here. No audio sweetening. Quick and dirty.

Al

Return to posts index

Mark Shepherd
on Dec 16, 2012 at 6:06:23 pm

I have used the Mark111 with both wireless and hard wired mics going DIRECTLY into the camera. The sound is fine for most situations, interviews. If I record in a situation where the sound is very loud (music) I would use a mixer with a good limiter to feed it into the camera or record double system. If the sound levels are not all over the place feeding a mic DIRECTLY into the Mark111 works perfectly. I also have bought a 3.5 mini plug (stereo) that splits the cable into (2) XLR inputs so you can use a boom mic with a lav, or two lavs. The only big problem with using a boom mic, in my case my Sennheiser 415 is that it has to be phantom powered which requires a mixer or a 48 volt phantom device. If you are just doing an interview with the Mark111 you can be a one man band and wear headphones coming out of the Mrk111 to check quality, but if you are using a boom and a lav you will need a sound man but you don't need to go double system.

Return to posts index

Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
on Dec 17, 2012 at 7:10:30 am

Thanks for the link Al. The voice is warm and nice but the hum pretty apparent. Why is it so?

Return to posts index

Mark Shepherd
on Dec 17, 2012 at 2:57:53 pm

The "hum" that you hear is probably from the all the water pumps that are just behind the subject. You can see one clearly by his right arm.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Dec 17, 2012 at 4:05:15 pm

Right you are. It's an industrial facility, so there were background noises. Especially pumps. That's why close mic'ed.

Al

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 20, 2012 at 6:03:02 pm

Yes, you could go direct, but if you have an external recorder, you should record to both for backup. If you use Plural Eyes, it should synch.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Mark Shepherd
on Dec 21, 2012 at 1:51:00 am

My question wasn't "can I go direct to an external recorder?" I want to know if the QUALITY of the recording would visually better, IE: more resolution and detail and information. I know that recording 4:2:2 in ProRes would be better for green screen, but that is not why I would want to record to an external recorder with a codex other than H264. My original post was asking the question about WHY the Canon 5DMark11 video looks worse that SOny XDcam.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]