FORUMS: list search recent posts

Len's Suggestion for Interview Filming

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Nisbet
Len's Suggestion for Interview Filming
on Dec 11, 2012 at 8:41:14 pm

Hi guys,

Just asking a little advice, basically I'm doing a production where I'll be filming a number of short interviews in office/business style environments, with very little/none outdoor or moving around shots. So I'm focusing on getting very good still/tripod shots for it and I'm slightly torn between which lenses to buy.

We have around a £3k budget for camera and lenses, and I'm looking at a 5D MK III with Canon lenses, either:

50mm f/1.4 and a 24-105mm f/4.0

or a 50mm f/1.8 and a 24-70mm f/2.8

I don't know whether it would be better to get the cheaper prime so I can get the larger aperture on the Zoom, or whether I should do it the other way round.

What would your guys suggestions be?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Gary

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Len's Suggestion for Interview Filming
on Dec 11, 2012 at 9:19:27 pm

Well, I am a big fan of the 50mm 1.4 and on a full sensor camera like the MIII that's going to be extra sweet for you. However the 1.8 is much better than the price would suggest, my only problem with it is the narrow focusing ring (which just makes things harder than they need to be) and, I guess, the overall plastic feel - however it isn't called "the nifty 50" for nothing.

Still I would offer a third suggestion - get the best 24-70mm you can afford and wait if you have to on the 50mm prime. The 24-70mm will of course provide the 50mm range anyways and you can use the money saved to improve your sound kit which is going to have a HUGE impact on the overall quality of your interview videos.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Gary Nisbet
on Dec 11, 2012 at 9:34:09 pm

Thanks for your reply, that's really helpful after all the research I've done. Was thinking about trying to pick up a second hand 24-70 and see how I get on in the time being with it, and then if there's the budget can upgrade to the 50mm after that. Do you have any recommendations for other makes other than Canon for the 24-70 range if I can't get a decent lens second hand?

At the moment, I'm looking to get a H4N with a NTG-2 for the sound, which from what I've seen works quite for interview situations. And as a sound novice, looks like I could do it fairly simply.

Thanks for your help once again, was really useful.

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Dec 12, 2012 at 10:18:54 am

Rokinon 24mm and 35mm f/1.4
Canon 50mm f/1.4
Canon 85mm f/1.8
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]