FORUMS: list search recent posts

Small/light DSLR options and alternatives to the GH-3

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Lister
Small/light DSLR options and alternatives to the GH-3
on Dec 11, 2012 at 1:33:50 pm

Hi all,

I've got an interesting problem. I'm moving into doing some aerial work and need a camera on a diet. It needs to be less than 1kg all in, I can most likely soot with . The GH-3 fits this budget, however I want to be aware of any other options people may know about, especially with the moire complaints (we're getting requests from architectural firms). Let's pretend that the price is of no consequence, but that the camera+lens must come in below 1kg.

Another requirement is that the camera must take decent pictures an have an HDMI out.

Suggestions?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Small/light DSLR options and alternatives to the GH-3
on Dec 11, 2012 at 6:42:04 pm

The GH2? :)

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Dec 12, 2012 at 10:08:22 am

I second the GH2. The FS100 is exactly 1kg.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Dec 12, 2012 at 4:37:18 pm

When you say "aerial" are you meaning tiny helicopters? If so, the Canon M might be something to check out. Really tiny and it has the APS-C sensor, interchangeable lenses, etc.

If you mean you are going to go flying, spend the money on a gyro. Way better than a smaller and lighter camera.

Al

Return to posts index

Geoff Lister
on Dec 12, 2012 at 5:54:27 pm

Tiny is subjective I suppose, we're flying a 650 and it's about five feet long. It has a full gyro (both with a three axis camera mount and a wireless feed to ground. I'll look at the Canon M though, I'm not sure if there's enough lens support (we need lightweight glass as well).

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Dec 13, 2012 at 1:14:58 pm

Hi Geoff - if you're concerned about moire, don't get a Canon :)

I own both the GH2 and the GH3 - and the "moire problem" is way overblown. It is still much better in this regard than any DSLR (save the expensive and heavy 5D Mark III).

People are already flying the GH3 and getting good results with 1080/60p:

Of course, if you want to save money , people are still shooting fantastic aerials with the GH2:

Hope this is helpful, and good luck with your project!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Dec 13, 2012 at 5:35:57 pm

[Bill Bruner] "I own both the GH2 and the GH3 - and the "moire problem" is way overblown. It is still much better in this regard than any DSLR (save the expensive and heavy 5D Mark III)."

Hi, Bill:

How do the GH2 and GH3 compare image-wise. I'm mostly interested in moire and low light performance. And, where did you pick up your GH3? Thanks! I'll be taking delivery, today, of a Panasonic LEICA 25mm/F1.4!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]