FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio: Mono- vs.- Stereo

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie Byrd
Audio: Mono- vs.- Stereo
on Dec 7, 2012 at 6:21:28 pm

Pardon the noob question. I use a Beachtek DXA-SLR Pro audio adapter with XLR mics. Sound goes from the Beachtek into my onboard audio attaching to the video.

This is NOT a Beachtek question; it probably applies to any audio device used later in post with your video.

What is the difference between the M (mono) and S (stereo) settings on the audio device (my Beachtek)? When I use M, the audio is actually stereo, I learn later in Premiere Pro. When I use S, the audio is actually stereo, I learn later in Premiere Pro.

In addition, I can see in Premiere that, in either M or S, the Left Channel has lots of waveform activity (that's where my XLR mic was plugged in on the Beachtek), whereas the Right has wimpy waveforms. Seems like if it's stereo, both channels ought to show robust waveform activity.

This is confusing me beyond measure. Help appreciated.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Audio: Mono- vs.- Stereo
on Dec 8, 2012 at 12:38:12 am

Your microphone is most likely a mono mic (very many are!) so the signal is only going into one channel, the weaker channel is probably some kind of bleed through, that's my thought

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Eddie Byrd
on Dec 8, 2012 at 1:22:35 pm

Hmmm, that possibly could be. It looks like "bleed" but I didn't know that was possible.

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Dec 8, 2012 at 11:36:10 am

Some cameras have on board mics. Try switching them off.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]