FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export XML to Final Cut Pro with Bins

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Judd Volino
Export XML to Final Cut Pro with Bins
on Apr 20, 2011 at 7:15:17 pm

I have CatDV Pro 8.1 in use on Mac OS 10.6.7. I am attempting to export clips in XML to Final Cut Pro 7. I have mapped the FCP "Bin" column to the CatDV "Bin" column. However, when I import the XML, only a single bin is created in my FCP project, named after the XML filename. My goal is to have various bins created in the project reflecting the various bins present in my CatDV catalog across a number of clips. Is this possible? I have a lot of bins, so I am hoping I will not have to manually recreate these within FCP.

Thanks,
Judd

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: Export XML to Final Cut Pro with Bins
on Apr 26, 2011 at 9:22:47 am

In Advanced preferences check the "Export FCP XML files: Preserve Bin name" option.

Return to posts index

Laura Smith
on Feb 3, 2013 at 6:31:55 am

Hello,

I have a problem.

I have 200 clips which i have placed into several bins within FCP

Since moving the clips into bins I have logged them in CatDV. How am i able to export the clip descriptions from Catdv to FCP without having to re-bin everything again? can i sync up my log notes with the clips already in FCP?

any suggestions massively appreciated.

thank you,

L

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:43:31 pm

You could import the FCP project into CatDV which would copy over the bins as well, but it sounds like you've independently logged the same clips in two places (log notes in CatDV, bins in Final Cut) so you need to merge the two sets of data. There may be clever ways of doing this but if it's only a handful of different bins the easiest is probably to re-bin the clips in CatDV (open the two windows side by side, select all the clips for one bin and use bulk edit or switch to grouping mode and drag them on to the bin you want, or the New... button).

(If you use grouping mode, beware of the known problem in 10.0.1 where toggling grouping mode will give a java error. There's a simple workaround though, once the error occurs do View > New View, then close the old window.)

Return to posts index

Laura Smith
on Feb 6, 2013 at 9:35:53 am

Thank you very much.

What if I was to make and adjustment of a clip description in FCP and I then wanted it to update this description in Catdv. Is there no way that I can sync up the clips & their descriptions? when i import the FCP altered clips into Catdv it simply doubles-up the clips. It will be really time consuming to then delete the older described clips. I hope there is a way!

would you know how to see clip ratings (stars) in FCP as mine have never shown up.

Much appreciated, thank you.

Laura

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Feb 10, 2013 at 10:53:27 pm

If you use the Final Cut Projects node in the tree navigator you can right click on the name of a project and choose Update Catalog. That will insert new clips into the CatDV catalog the first time but after that it will update the existing clips with the latest metadata from Final Cut.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]