FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backingup Metadata

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Schaap
Backingup Metadata
on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:08:41 pm

We want to make sure that we are backing up all the Metadata that we have placed on our video assets. In an effort to do so we are backing up the system drive on our CatDV server with time machine. However, we want to be sure that that particular file (or files) are part of the time machine backup. Where does this information get stored?

Is there some other approach we should take?

Thanks,
Jeff Schaap

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Backingup Metadata
on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:36:42 pm

Man, here's something I wrote up from a while back. I'm working on a script to do all this, let us know if you need some help.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/278/875

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Schaap
on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:40:49 pm

Wow... that is... complex. Yet brilliant.

Could we just RAID mirror the system drive?

Thanks,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Apr 12, 2011 at 2:09:58 am

You can also do manual exports from time to time for extra peace of mind, using the Export button in the server control panel or doing FIle > Local Catalogs > Save As Catalog from the CatDV client.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Apr 12, 2011 at 6:57:02 am

Let me shout this publicly from a very high place so that all may hear. (why do I sound British? I've been hanging out with them for days now and I'm delirious.)

RAID is not a replacement for a backup. Why? Because when that volume corrupts, the data will be unreadable, but that RAID will be solid and happy. RAID is hardware, not the filesystem.

That's why we have disk utility, disk warrior and other things like that. The drive is fine, physically, but the data is corrupted. Raid won't help you there.

Please make copies, manually as Rolf suggested, using a backup program, or find someone to help you set up an automated system.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]