FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shotgun for Production Scheduling and Asset Management?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Hansen
Shotgun for Production Scheduling and Asset Management?
on Apr 3, 2011 at 6:46:09 pm

Has anyone tried "Shotgun" and it's plug-in app "RV"?

Shotgun looks like a web-based production management tool, similar to the EP family of apps, but web-based and collaborative like Basecamp. There's a plug-in called RV that gives it the ability to deal with media, similar to CatDV. but it doesn't look like it would be a full CatDV replacement.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these web-based apps?

thanks. i've also posted this question over in the SAN Networks forum: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/197/857977

e

Eric Hansen - http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Shotgun for Production Scheduling and Asset Management?
on Apr 5, 2011 at 7:49:20 am

I've been asked to integrate the 2 systems, but it looked cost prohibitive the deeper we got.

Shotgun runs in Postgres SQL and is mainly aimed at gfx and vfx shops, at least from what I've seen in town. It supports versioning and project management as far as "how many shots are done now" and "which version is the last one". Good for the gfx folks but yes, limited as to what it can do with media management.

IMHO, scheduling and asset management are pretty different worlds and I believe you'd suffer on one of the other if you tried to do both. But I've not really dug into the automation and other media management features of Shotgun. (does it support file-based automations?)

I think Shotgun and Basecamp are a better comparison than Shotgun and CatDV, different animals. But I'd love to hear more from folks who may have checked it out further. Could you repost what you get over there, or at least link?

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]