FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workernode won't retain file creation dates

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Schaap
Workernode won't retain file creation dates
on Apr 1, 2011 at 7:20:31 pm

Ok, so I thought I had this figured out... NOT.

I need to retain the original creation dates of clips. I am working with h.264 MP4's. When I use CatDV Worker Node to convert them to Quicktime DVCProHD .movs they lose their creation date. In the watch action that does this processing I have selected "set timestamp" but it just uses the time and date the file was processed... what am I missing?

Thanks,
Jeff Schaap

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: Workernode won't retain file creation dates
on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:17:11 pm

What the "set timestamp" option does is set the file modification timestamp of the generated file to the camera date-time information of the recording, if that information is available at the time of import (as it typically is for DV and MXF and DSLR movies, for example). I'm not sure if it uses the original file modification time if there's no camera record date available but I agree that would be a useful feature, so we'll make a note to investigate that.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Apr 5, 2011 at 8:24:51 am

Rolf,

Could you use DT1 as a variable to give him the original creation date as part of the name for the transcoded file?

I tried a quick test in Worker 3.1.0, but (DT1) and (MD2) both gave me the value for Source Date (SD2). I used the standard ${field ID} syntax.

Can you check that? If it works, he'd get a way to track his creation dates.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:09:16 am

You could use that for renaming the file according to the date, but not for setting the timestamp.

This will be fixed in Worker Node 4.0 so it uses the first available date when setting the timestamp.

Return to posts index

Jeff Schaap
on Apr 5, 2011 at 1:47:02 pm

Hey Guys,

Thank you so much for you input into this issue. I ended up using a different program, A Better Finder Renamer, to rename all the files in chronological order with iterations... 0001, 0002, 0003, etc. Not the desired way of doing things but hey, sometimes you have to make due. The chronological order in which the files were shot is really the most important thing in this case, not the exact time and date. However, it would be a great feature and make life easier if Worker Node could retain the the camera's timestap (probably not the right nomenclature) on the file. I realize that some footage formats have this metadata built in but some do not so if it could retain the file creation time and date as well that would be even better.

Thanks,
Jeff Schaap

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]