FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV crashes a lot

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeanine Strock
CatDV crashes a lot
on Mar 29, 2011 at 5:01:31 pm

I'm using CatDV (v 8.1.11) on a PC using Windows XP and I'm experiencing a lot of crashes as I try to log footage. I'm only in my 2nd day of using it for footage. Previously used it to log thousands of stills and had no problems. Is the crashing a common occurance with footage or is there some setting that should be checked out?

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
Re: CatDV crashes a lot
on Mar 29, 2011 at 5:40:38 pm

Jeanine are you getting an error message when the crash happens?

Return to posts index

Jeanine Strock
on Mar 29, 2011 at 5:47:15 pm

No error messages, it just disappears. I've started saving after every couple of records otherwise I lose everything in the crash. When I start it back up it comes up with an untitled recovery mode, but all the info I've added is gone. The memory indicator in the bottom right corner has been in the blue, no red warnings.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 29, 2011 at 5:50:52 pm

I think the key is the "had no problems" and now you do.

I find that media can cause all sorts of problems.

Try working with just one clip and see how it goes. You may have some issues with larger catalogs.

Also, depending on your versions of Java and Quicktime, you may see wide variances in how the app performs. I have dozens of folks here logging on various versions of Mac OSX without issue. We also have quite a few PC's but I find that PC's generally need their Quicktime versions checked to find one that is stable.

Remember, Apple is selling a lot of phones and that's where their focus is on QT these days. That, coupled with adding Java in and it can make things a bit dicey, especially when you're demo-ing and haven't had anyone to help get your rig stabilized.

As you will read over and over on this board. CatDV is not really intended to be user installed, in my opinion. It's part of a system that is normally integrated and managed by a tech, like any other piece of post production software.

If you let Matt know who your dealer is, I'm sure he can get you someone to help you out.

In the meantime, can any of you guys solidly running XP shoot us some known good versions of QT and JRE? I'm running mostly Win 7 these days.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 30, 2011 at 7:58:14 am

If you haven't already done so, try checking the "Protected player" option in Advanced Media Handling preferences. Sometimes it's a particular QuickTime codec that causes problems (eg. when faced with a corrupt file) and with the protected player option (you'll see a green P instead of a blue Q in the movie controller) playback is done from a separate process so if that crashes for any reason the main application can carry on and relaunch the player automatcally.

Return to posts index

Allan White
Re: CatDV crashes a lot - an eroding foundation?
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:24:00 pm

I'm getting a lot of crashes on OS 10.6.6 running 8.1.11. There seems to be no consistent cause, though manipulating markers and just general playback. Yes, I've toggled the "protected player" setting. These bugs have persisted for many versions. I've sent some crash logs to Rolf and the gang, and I'll be sending more as I have them - usually I'm in a rush and don't take the time.

I'm to the point where I'm looking for other options. I see few good ones (esp. in this price domain). I want CatDV to "just work". As Mac OS X has evolved, CatDV - and the Java foundation it sits on - feels like it's crumbling.

Looking forward, I have grave concerns about this foundation. Look around in the marketplace - how many Java apps are there for the Mac OS? I hear of none. It's time to consider a full-blooded Objective-C Mac client. Perhaps Java is more of a "native citizen" on Windows. It's sure not on Mac OS. Apple has done so little to maintain the Java runtime on OSX - not to mention Quicktime and QT for Java.

I feel like I'm going ten years back in time when I launch CatDV on my modern Mac. Ask any current Mac developer today out there - how many are developing on Java? Are there any tracks for it at WWDC 2011? At what point with Java on OSX cease to work - especially when QuickTime X emerges in Lion (QTKit and AV Foundation)?

Every time CatDV crashes, my producers trust it - and me - a little less. I really, really don't want to go back to the old, "let's just scrub the tape and search for the clips" method that existed before me. "I won't go back!!" =)

I write these critiques out of respect for you hard-working devs and love for this tool. You guys "get" video workflow in a very deep way. And I'm no programmer, just a geek who loves video and elegant workflows. You may have great reasons to stay on Java, and Obj-C/C# may be no panacea. Perhaps Squarebox have big plans. But I have to wonder why no one else in the Mac universe writes big GUI apps with Java. The lack of stability of CatDV makes me wonder. I'd love to hear your reasons, and I'd be happy to be proven wrong if it means a better CatDV.

All the best,

R. Allan White

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:37:43 pm

Allan can you send us the Error log for CatDV from the Console in your utilities folder of your mac?

support@squarebox.co.uk
matts@jbanda.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:09:31 pm

Well... it's no secret that Apple's focus in recent years has been mainly on consumer products such as the iPhone and iPad, and that enterprise and professional technologies such as Java and even Final Cut have somewhat taken the back seat in comparison.

There are some encouraging signs coming from Apple that they haven't totally abandoned this segment of the market however, with a widely anticipated major update to Final Cut due out soon, and Apple's active efforts to support and move over to an Oracle-sponsored Java implementation in future (just as it is on other platforms), not to mention Apple's commitment to continue supporting Java themselves throughout the life of Mac OS X Lion (ie. at least until the version after the one after Lion comes out, quite a few years hence).

Java certainly isn't an appropriate platform for writing glitzy iPod games, but it is (and will continue to be) for writing cross-platform vertical applications such as CatDV, which is why it's still by far the number one choice for scientific, educational, financial and enterprise applications.

As for crashes, these are almost always caused by problems within QuickTime, and as far as I know turning on the protected player option eliminates nearly all of these. I don't believe we have any problem reports from you on record since you started using the protected player option. If you do still experience problems with that option on, however, then please send both the crash log and the correspond CatDV Error Log to support@squarebox.com and we'll be happy to investigate.

The other issue I'm aware of that can occasionally cause crashes is extracting thumbnails from certain kinds of files on import, in which case unchecking the advanced preference option "Generate full size thumbnails from file system" can help.

Regards,

-Rolf

Return to posts index

Allan White
on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:00:26 am

Thanks Rolf, that's a useful picture of both the state of CatDV and some helpful things to try. You're correct - I haven't sent any useful crash logs of late, deadlines have kept me a bit too busy to send useful feedback. I'll make sure I do that. The last item, 'full size thumbnails' is new to me, I'll try that.

Thanks for responding in a constructive manner - I appreciate your work and attitude! I really want to see CatDV and Squarebox succeed.

- Allan White, Video Producer, Luis Palau Assoc.

Quad 3Ghz Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, X1900 GPU, XSAN, CatDV Server

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]