FORUMS: list search recent posts

Obsolete feature - consolidation

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Kutchera
Obsolete feature - consolidation
on Jan 26, 2010 at 8:42:08 pm

For some reason, this is considered an obsolete feature, but one that I need - the ability to split mediafiles to match clips. For me it is not a matter of storage, but a matter of bandwidth as I plan to transport the selected clips over VPN to our server in Finland. This old feature is hidden away and can be turned on in the preferences.

I am a little hesitant to try consolidation because the documentation is not clear on what happens to the original media. It is strongly implied that the old media will automatically be deleted; but that is not what I want. I want to keep the old media and the consolidated sub-clipped media as well. Has anyone used this feature? Can I have my cake and eat it too?

Dennis

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
Re: Obsolete feature - consolidation
on Jan 27, 2010 at 3:53:41 pm

Hi Dennis

Obsolete as in storage sizes have gone up and up,and the original functionality was DV related. but the functionality you seek is still available. Goto Movies Export > Movies then check Flatten then BATCH OPTIONS TAB and check Selection within Clip

If you have made subclips then they respect the subclip limits also you have options to make a single movie with all of you subclips inside it and to re-compress to another codec.. Just because it does not say CONSOLIDATE any more does not mean that the functionality has gone away...:-) also check out the CATDV help INDEX for a suprise if you still think you have been forgotten

Kevin Duggan
Catdv Product Developer

Return to posts index

Dennis Kutchera
on Jan 27, 2010 at 4:48:21 pm

I have been using the export function, but when I bring the new clip back in, pretty much all metadata is gone. Will consolidated media automatically appear as a new clip with metadata intact? And will it leave the original media alone? That is my fear that holds me back from experimenting, because I do not have tape to recover from if the software deletes the original media when consolidating.

Dennis

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
on Jan 27, 2010 at 6:22:04 pm

Hi Dennis
what metadata are you expecting? Qtime has limited metadata internally. CatDV works by referencing the media and writing additional metadata to its own tables. You can cut and paste all of this to your new consolidated movies by going to EDIT > copy then select all of your re-imported subclips and then EDIT> Paste Metadata.. to selected clips Flattening you clips does not destroy your source. But I would encourage you to experiment with a copy of your media, what can that hurt and when you have gained confidence and understanding go ahead do global tagging to your hearts content. Also I would suggest having globally applied attributes you then re-visit your logging as these assetts are new media and describe what is new and discrete between your group of clips

hope this helps

Kevin Duggan
Cat Dv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]