FORUMS: list search recent posts

paste info from previous record

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeanine Strock
paste info from previous record
on Mar 28, 2011 at 8:04:43 pm

In our previous logging software I could put my cursor in a field, hit command-paste and it would paste in that field what was in the previous record.

Is there such a funtion in CatDV? If not, can this be added? It's a very convenient process.

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
Re: paste info from previous record
on Mar 28, 2011 at 8:25:43 pm

Not exactly but you can use the copy command and then the paste metadata command from the edit menu. This works one to many as well as many to many if you select the same set of clips. This is a very powerful feature that can even copy and paste event markers.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 29, 2011 at 2:31:56 am

I agree that for logging that's a solid feature. Especially if you're looking at stuff for the first time.

The methodology behind CatDV is a little different. You basically give up the "database-like" aspect of some logging systems for the power of the client app and the ability to tag multiple clips with the same metadata at once.

The feature Matt speaks of can take the metadata from one clip and paste it across a set. You can also select all the clips in a set, or the whole database for that matter and set a metadata field with one operation. So for instance if you determine that all the clips you're looking at were shot at the same location, you can tag 1,2 or 200 with that value in one shot.

The time this saves is pretty huge.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Mar 29, 2011 at 3:42:09 am

Exactly Bryson.... you can also predefine metadata with the "New Empty Clip" feature also under the edit menu. This let's you create templates of metadata, A blank pieces of metadata waiting for media. Just fill in the blanks as many fields as you need and copy paste accordingly as files flow through.

Return to posts index

Jeanine Strock
on Mar 29, 2011 at 4:56:47 pm

So Bryson, you're saying that the feature can't be added to CatDV?

I don't really need to use the metadata paste because I do bulk entry of all the common data. I would want the past-info-from-previous-record to do perhaps 3 or 4 records with the same description or notes.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 29, 2011 at 5:30:14 pm

I can't speak to what's possible in programming but have you looked at the feature we're talking about?

Also, you might want to speak to your dealer and see if CatDV is actually the best solution for what you're doing.

I know that might be heresy here but I always think that you should spend some time evaluating a system and if it doesn't suit you, let it go.

But... have you had an in-depth session with a dealer so that they can show you what's possible? Also, how many seats are you looking at purchasing, if it's a large integration, you can consider purchasing some custom programming to get the features you need. One of my reality tv clients did this and were really pleased with the results.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Mar 29, 2011 at 5:39:33 pm

You can easily paste the notes field and other fields simultaneously so this is fairly close to what you are trying to achieve and ultimately more flexible. You can also use the clipboard of the OS to simply paste a notes field.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]