FORUMS: list search recent posts

Path-based Preview Confusion in CatDV Pro

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Hicks
Path-based Preview Confusion in CatDV Pro
on Mar 26, 2011 at 3:28:51 pm

I'm attempting to generate preview clips from a stock footage CatDV catalog and I'm seeing unexplained behavior in locating the path-based preview folder.

I added a path via the "Media Search Paths" window as follows:
Original location: {blank}
Preview path: \\UNRAID_NAS\Archive\CatDV\Prev

When I tested preview creation on a few clips, the previews were created in a folder called \\UNRAID_NAS\Archive\CatDV\PrevE (instead of Prev). So, I added \\UNRAID_NAS\Archive\CatDV\PrevE to the Preview path. When I added a couple more previews, they were placed in a folder called \\UNRAID_NAS\Archive\CatDV\PrevEE.

So, it seems that previews are not being placed in the specified path, but rather in another path that is somehow automatically created.

There's obviously something about preview paths that I don't understand completely. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks...

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Path-based Preview Confusion in CatDV Pro
on Mar 27, 2011 at 1:27:49 am

Interestingly, I say something like this this week.

I was able to clear the preview paths and then reenter them and it all went away.

One question, do you have any paths under "Original Full-Res Media"?

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Dave Hicks
on Mar 27, 2011 at 2:04:51 am

Thanks for your response, Bryson. When I tried this test, the "Original Full-Res Media" was populated with: \\UNRAID_NAS\Archive(\\UNRAID_NAS\Archive); however, I've also tried it with that path blank.

I just tried clearing and re-entering the paths, as you mentioned, and the same behavior occurred. Interestingly, the previews do work fine for the clips I've tested, although, when the "PrevEE" folder is created it does not appear under the Media->Preview Manager window.

BTW, your CatDVExperts video was great - it convinced me that I was on the right track in buying CatDV Pro.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
on Mar 27, 2011 at 10:54:31 am

Hi David
make sure that you have selected PATH BASED PREVIEWS PREFER PATH option setting in the Preview and Thumbnails and make sure TAPE BASE PREVIEW is unchecked. The behaviour is very different as is the Media Paths.

Hope this helps

Kevin Duggan
CatDV/MME

Kevin Duggan
CatDV/MME

Return to posts index

Dave Hicks
on Mar 27, 2011 at 5:35:38 pm

Well, I did have all three Lookup Previews checked, so I unchecked "Based on tape & timecode". I then started over:
[1] cleared out all preview paths
[2] set "Path-based previews" to
Original location: {blank}
Preview path: \\UNRAID_NAS\Archive\CatDV\Previews
[3] set Original full-res media to {blank}
[4] deleted and re-ingested the catalog
[5] selected one clip and executed Media->Build Preview Movies

The preview movie was placed in \\UNRAID_NAS\Archive\CatDV\PreviewsE. The Preview Manager now shows only Path-Based Previews (..\CatDV\Previews), but does not show the PreviewsE folder containing the preview clip.

This is still the same confusing behavior. Perhaps there's another preference not correctly set?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
on Mar 28, 2011 at 8:27:20 am

Hi David
just to clarify , you say you are using the Preview Manager , if Catdv has done its job correctly you should find that the Preview TAB "lights up" in the player window and you should have your proxy playing in this window. WIthout using the Preveiw Manager you should be able to verify that there is a file in the Catdv Preview folder , as it appears from what you say that the Path is being constructed, meaning your preferences are correct . You may need to deselect and then select again the asset for it to load the proxy in the Catdv interface , but linking is automatic . I would also suggest you check the EXACT FILE NAME OPTION as this helps FCP relink easily.

Hope this helps

Kevin Duggan
Catdv/MME

Kevin Duggan
CatDV/MME

Return to posts index

Dave Hicks
on Mar 28, 2011 at 5:57:59 pm

Kevin, thanks for your responses on this issue. I'll try to clarify again...
"if Catdv has done its job correctly you should find that the Preview TAB "lights up" in the player window and you should have your proxy playing in this window."

Yes, the proxy is playable after the Preview tab "lights up".
"Without using the Preview Manager you should be able to verify that there is a file in the Catdv Preview folder, as it appears from what you say that the Path is being constructed, meaning your preferences are correct."

Yes, there is a proxy in the preview folder. However, the problem is that my preferences specify a path like "\\Archive\Previews", but the preview is then generated in "\\Archive\PreviewsE" (apparently created by CatDV by adding a character E to the preference path) and the Previews folder remains empty. I tried generating a preview from a different computer (with same preferences) and it placed the proxy in "\\Archive\PreviewsC".
And, when Media->Manage Preview Movies is selected, only the original "\\Archive\Previews" path shows up, and it's empty.
"I would also suggest you check the EXACT FILE NAME OPTION as this helps FCP relink easily."

I can't seem to find this option, however, I'm not using FCP.

Thanks again,
Dave

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 28, 2011 at 6:55:14 pm

Kevin,

I saw this last week on a gig. I had a PC path defined as "Z:" and when I created proxy on the Mac side I got "proxyZ" instead of my expected "proxy" as root.

Weird one.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Dave Hicks
on Mar 28, 2011 at 7:06:51 pm

Yes - it appears like CatDV is appending the drive letter of the original media onto the path specified in the preferences.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 28, 2011 at 9:45:08 pm

It looks like CatDV is getting a bit confused about mixing UNC and drive based paths and is omitting a backslash. Rather than "\\Archive\PreviewsE" it should be creating a proxy in "\\Archive\Previews\E". We'll investigate that issue.

As a general tip though, it's sometimes a good idea to fill in the Original Location as well as the Preview Path. That way you can have different proxy paths depending on the original media location if required.

Return to posts index

Dave Hicks
on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:12:54 pm

Thanks for your response and the advice about filling in Original Location - that does make sense.

CatDV is becoming an extremely useful tool in my workflow. I looked long and hard for a DAM that suited my needs before I ran across a mention of it in a forum post (can't even remember where).

Regards,
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]