FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 spanned clips

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
P2 spanned clips
on Feb 23, 2011 at 12:25:31 am

I have a demo of the Enterprise Client with the mxf option and I thought I remember reading that spanned clips where presented as one in the Catalog. I see that matching in/out TCs are dimmed for easy ID. Is there a way to have CatDV join these as one clip? I tried the merge clip command but even though I merged 3 six minute clips the duration stayed at 6:16. I'm guessing the .xml is overriding the merge.

I have Calibrated MXFImport installed.

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
Re: P2 spanned clips
on Feb 23, 2011 at 4:45:15 pm

Off the top of my head select the P2 clips sort by time code and make a sequence using the tools menu. Then that sequence can be archived exported to FCP or exported as a new movie.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Feb 23, 2011 at 10:28:55 pm

Thanks Matt, but that asks for a new start TC. I suppose if one was meticulous that would work. I did try that but there was a jump at the match point. Doing the same thing manually in QT does not jump so it seems Calibrated is not at fault. The idea is to build a Worker job that would recognize P2 media and direct it to an Episode watch folder for conversion to ProRes.

There is a DV pref that stitches shots together but looks like it is deprecated. Stitching spanned shots together can be done in FCP via L&T. It would be a nice feature in CatDV.

I'll look more closely to determine how large and in what direction the jump is.

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 23, 2011 at 11:08:07 pm

Spanning is tough, on any system.

I'm betting you are right, the XML schemas are fighting. The one that CatDV uses to gather a metaclip and then one Panasonic gives us to "make" their clips and span.

I'm betting this is just an update, since Calibrated can handle it.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Feb 23, 2011 at 11:27:15 pm

[bryson jones] "I'm betting you are right, the XML schemas are fighting"

hmmm.. if your right, than all clips would be wrong not just spanned. Before I got the mxf demo I would simply drag the CONTENTS folder into a catalog and filter to the video.mxf files. Is there a way to disable the mxf feature and let Calibrated do the work? That would also confirm the xml conflict... no?

Catdv "sees" the match point TCs and indicates them as dimmed TC numbers in the catalog. Would it not be relatively simple to use that info to trigger an "auto merge" of those spanned clips?

Oh by the way... Arri's Alexa kicks the P2 NONAME/CONTENTS paradigm from here to kingdom come! Near perfection!

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 25, 2011 at 4:20:08 pm

The fact that they can be seen, but are dimmed is why I figured it wouldn't be a problem, and by "fighting" I just meant that the spanning may not have been written into the CatDV XML import yet but as the TC is seen, I'll bet it'd be a simple "enable spanning" sort of thing.

I'll email this over in case Rolf's missed this thread.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Julian Engels
on Jul 7, 2011 at 10:54:45 am

Hello John,

I stumbled over this thread, because I am looking into CatDV as an alternative to Final Cut Server. I allready contacted Squarebox for a rep in Germany. Google does not help really, could not find anyone. My question is off-topic:

Stitching spanned clips together, or concatenating clips together in tapeless workflows in general has been an issue for us since a long time. We still use Quicktime Pro to do that job manually. Not elegant, but it does its job. So back to my question. You said

[John Heagy] "Stitching spanned shots together can be done in FCP via L&T."

I searched for that options within FCP, never found it. Can you specify what you meant, am I missing something?

Greatly appreciate your answer.

Julian

PS: By the way. Been a reader since 1.5 years. First post, finally I have my own account on CreativeCow. Yeah!

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jul 7, 2011 at 2:16:58 pm

Hi Julian,

FCP7 Log & Transfer will automatically stitch spanned P2 clips. It will span across cards as long as it sees all the CONTENTS folders and lastclip.txt files it needs to assemble a complete clip.

John Heagy

Return to posts index

Julian Engels
on Jul 7, 2011 at 2:25:38 pm

Hi John,

thanks for the quick reply. I understand the issue now. We face the problem of concatenating clips. With a tape you get one clip, with a tapeless workflow instead you get several (short) clips, which is not as convenient to edit with. Do you happen to know whether CatDV is capable of automatically concatenating clips of one p2/xdcam-card and at the same time preserving the audio (mono-) tracks? I would love to have this process automated.

Julian

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:41:23 pm

Hi Julian,

If the clips you're referring to have broken TC then you cannot concatenate them and maintain the TC. FCP will not accept a clip with broken TC. You would have to reset the TC of the single clip to make the TC continuous. If the clips are Rec Run then you can combine them maintaining the org TC. CatDV can export a selection of clips from the catalog as a single clip. With Square Box's Worker you could automate this via watch folders.

Combining multiple takes into one is asking for trouble in my opinion, especially when it comes to restoring media. With small takes/files it's quick to restore just what is needed. If the day's shoot is combined, then restoring just a 3 sec shot would require restoring the entire combined clip.

Maintaining a tape like approach to things will be like pushing water up hill in a file based future.

John Heagy

Return to posts index

Julian Engels
on Jul 8, 2011 at 8:39:28 am

Hi John,

I am aware of the issue with broken tc, but thanks for pointing that out. I focus on the fact that an edit is taking longer in what we do, when we have to deal with 100 clips of 40 minutes footage, than have that 40 minutes in one clip (like with digibeta).

Concerning restoring you are totally right, and I don't like the fact that we may face problems if we have to do so. Since our work is really newsworthy we do not face deleting/restoring processes a lot. But in general I have to prove you right. I will do some more research, maybe I can leave the clip-based files as they are and "virtually" concatenate them within the edit program through XML. I did a research on that and I am pretty sure it can work, I just couldn't figure it out and been looking since for that kind of a solution.

Or, as you suggested, we just have to get used to a different workflow, which I do not want to accept for now ;-)

Julian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]