FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV Server on 10.6 - java error and reinstall

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabor Kiss
CatDV Server on 10.6 - java error and reinstall
on Feb 17, 2011 at 4:46:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

Our CatDV server ran happily on 10.5 but the box crashed and had to be reinstalled. Now we have 10.6 and I have to try to recover as much as possible. The backup we had of the system (MacOS+mysql) was on a drive that got dropped in the mean time and might not be recoverable. We have .cdv files and previews on a drive that is available.

1. Installed the CatDV Enterprise Server 6.1.6, enabled mysql, created schema, but I can't start the server from Control Panel. When I click Start it hangs a bit then back to Control Panel.

"java.rmi.ServerException: RemoteException occurred in server thread; nested exception is:
java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling arguments; nested exception is:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: " (full error at bottom)

When I want to stop or start mysql get an error message

Looks like there is a problem with java but can't figure out how to resolve it. Tried running CatDV Control Panel in Rosetta and also tried dragging 32bit java to the Java Preferences list without luck.

2. Once the CatDV server is up and running again, I'd like to upload what we have in the local clients. The team customized the old install bringing in new metadata fields (was not involved so I might be incorrect here) and we would like to see this in the new install.
The client still wants to connect to the old server and should have all the details from the old install. We also have the catalog (.cdv) files and the CatDV Previews.

Is it possible to upload the fields from the client to the new server to recreate the new metadata fields in the DB schema at least?
Has anybody been through a similar situation and can share some ideas how to move this forward?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
Gabor

[16:23:44.375]
java.rmi.ServerException: RemoteException occurred in server thread; nested exception is:
java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling arguments; nested exception is:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: squarebox.catdv.server.CatDVServer_Stub
at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.oldDispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:396)
at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:250)
at sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Transport.java:159)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:155)
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:535)
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0(TCPTransport.java:790)
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(TCPTransport.java:649)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)
at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.exceptionReceivedFromServer(StreamRemoteCall.java:255)
at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.executeCall(StreamRemoteCall.java:233)
at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(UnicastRef.java:359)
at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Stub.rebind(Unknown Source)
at java.rmi.Naming.rebind(Naming.java:160)
at squarebox.catdv.server.CatDVServer.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling arguments; nested exception is:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: squarebox.catdv.server.CatDVServer_Stub
at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Skel.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.oldDispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:386)
at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:250)
at sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Transport.java:159)
at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:155)
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:535)
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0(TCPTransport.java:790)
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(TCPTransport.java:649)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: squarebox.catdv.server.CatDVServer_Stub
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:247)
at sun.rmi.server.LoaderHandler.loadClass(LoaderHandler.java:434)
at sun.rmi.server.LoaderHandler.loadClass(LoaderHandler.java:165)
at java.rmi.server.RMIClassLoader$2.loadClass(RMIClassLoader.java:620)
at com.attotech.iscsid.Daemon$RMILoaderSPI.loadClass(Daemon.java:2003)
at java.rmi.server.RMIClassLoader.loadClass(RMIClassLoader.java:247)
at sun.rmi.server.MarshalInputStream.resolveClass(MarshalInputStream.java:197)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readNonProxyDesc(ObjectInputStream.java:1574)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readClassDesc(ObjectInputStream.java:1495)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1731)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1328)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:350)
... 12 more

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV Server on 10.6 - java error and reinstall
on Feb 18, 2011 at 4:11:54 am

If you didn't get this sorted, and don't choose to or can't use Squarebox support, please contact me off the board. I'd be happy to assist. (I feel weird offering services here, but this seems dire)

Here's what we can do on here for now to ease the pain.

The Java Errors may just be an install error, I've never not been able to create a schema and get running on a clean install if all is config'd correctly in your server. I'd check the server config, software versions and permissions and then perhaps reinstall if it doesn't clear up.

For now, make a backup of the client prefs on one of your workstations in

~/Library/Preferences/

If it's a Mac, and I'm not sure where, if it's a PC (hey, I don't do those a lot) ;)

(Duggan or Stamos, where are those PC prefs?!)

Get the "CatDV Preferences" file and the .old file as well. Compress them into a zip for safety and that will keep your fields and some other info. We can push that up once you get the server running and then upload your old catalogs.

Once it's up and running we can talk about suitable backup plans for those server settings and SQL data.

Try not to do much poking around until an experienced CatDV installer gets on the rig.

What part of the world/Country are you in? Perhaps I can refer you a local dealer as well.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Gabor Kiss
on Feb 21, 2011 at 11:38:16 am

Hi Bryson,

Thanks for your reply, I'm based in London.
Managed to get the server up and running. Turned out to be a port issue, had to change it to 1199 and started working. The java errors are still there but since they only appear when doing something on the control panel I think I can live with that.

Now I have the preference files saved from a team Mac to my Mac and installed a fresh copy of CatDV client. Can I copy those preferences into the new local CatDV client installation (Library/Preferences) to replicate settings? I'm planning to use my Mac for recreating the database without touching anything on the team Macs first.

Next step would be pushing the settings up to the server, could you please let me know how?
And finally, I'd like to import the catalogs back... Got about 70 of them. If there an easy way?

Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated!

Gabor

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 21, 2011 at 4:45:13 pm

Congrats on getting it back up and running. You can always re-do the install later once you have a solid backup.

Use the new clean mac to create the production group. (it has to be a new one, but could be named the same. (log in as administrator, of course)

To bring the prefs live, copy them into the new machine and put your license code in and it will have the prod group settings (or whatever version of them you had last) and you can log into the production group you're created and then, as long as you saved no settings in the first place, you can right click on the "production group" name under "production blog" and "Save Settings". This will push the server settings to the server.

Finally, after that is live, you can "Bulk Publish Catalogs" under the Server menu and push a whole directory of catalogs back to the server.

At that point you'll have a group back up and running.

Obviously, keeping a backup of your boot drive is preferred. Please set that up as soon as you can, and also remember to export your database from time to time.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Gabor Kiss
on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:03:29 pm

Thanks for the tips, it's up and running again!

One slight issue is that the Previews don't work. When I click one of the published catalogs all seem fine but the Movie and Preview tabs are black and cannot click on them. The paths are fine in Prefs, I can browse to the location from both PC and Mac but neither can match the catalog and preview.

If I go to Media / Manage Preview Movies I can browse the folders and get to the files both path-based and tape-based route and even can play them when click on Info (Mac only, PC throws QTJava error) but can't associate them with the catalog.

Any fix for that or the previews have to be recreated?

Many thanks again,
Gabor

Return to posts index

Gabor Kiss
on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:12:24 pm

Update: Found some catalogs where the preview works so I assume not all catalogs had previews. Will ask the team to check.

On the backup front: could you please let me know what are the folders that need to be backed up?
We are using Backup Exec agent for this.

Cheers,
Gabor

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:01:34 pm

Simple Answer:

On the backup, the short answer is, get your boot drive as a bootable drive, meaning all hidden folders.

Let me check my long answer with the guru before I post it. More to come...

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:17:47 pm

Ok, now the long one -

Long Answer:

First, note that the documentation clearly states that the safest way to backup your data is to stop the CatDV Server, stop MySQL, dump the SQL db and then restart the processes. This ensures that no data is written during the dump.

This can be scripted to run as a cron job nightly.

Additionally, there is an "Export" button under "DataBase" in the CatDV Control Panel that will dump the file cleanly. But this is not automated so you have to do it regularly. (not the best idea) But it's good for a quick, "I need a backup now!". Before you do maintenance etc.

A further step (if you want to be slick) is to replicate the db to another machine and then run that in parallel, stopping it and backing it up. (this is done in larger installations where the system can not be taken down for a backup.)

I try to not publish the following data generically because if you load MySQL in a different way, you will not be getting a correct backup so, as a lot of things in these rigs, your system may vary.

THE FOLLOWING IS PROVIDED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY - IF YOU BLOW YOUR DB OR DON'T GET A GOOD BACKUP, IT'S NOT MY FAULT -

Free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

If you have a mac OSX server, (at least as of 10.5) the MySQL folder is in

/var/

the folder, /var/mysql/catdv has your CatDV Server config in it. I tend to grab the whole mysql folder, which can make for a quick restore, as long as you load the same version of mysql on the new restore. (you did write all that down, right?)

In a desktop OS installation, it varies WIDELY.

/usr/local/mysql_folder_named_what_your_install_named_it/data/catdv is sometimes the location.

There is no way for us to tell exactly which version of your OS and mysql is loaded and what your sysadmin named the mysql folder. (in desktop systems it can include the whole mysql version name in the folder name.)

For this reason, there's not true documentation as you may have CatDV Server loaded on any of many versions of MySQL in a variety of locations. Oh, and let's not mention that you may also have it on Oracle, or even on a PC, which is a whole other item.

The permissions are locked down so you need root to access it in either case.

If you have any question as to what this all means, DO NOT, attempt to backup at the folder level. Just get a full backup of the drive and perhaps contact your dealer or integrator to help you set up a solid backup system or script.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Gabor Kiss
on Mar 2, 2011 at 2:53:04 pm

Thank you for the short and long reply, I'll try to cron the backup for the weekend.

Might check with a mysql DBA what they usually do, they always come up with something tricky.

Many thanks again for your help!

Regards,
Gabor

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 3, 2011 at 12:29:09 am

That should be fine. The SQL guys are handy to have around, but make sure they don't get too tricky. CatDV likes to be the "master" of the SQL on its Server. ;) But for a simple backup/export it should be fine.

Glad you got rolling again, and make sure to keep a backup of your boot drive! If you have trouble with the backup, give us a buzz and we can help on that.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 3, 2011 at 8:54:25 am

Glad you're getting up and running again. I don't recognise the ClassNotFoundException stack trace you reported earlier, so it's possible the control panel installation is broken in some way.

From the sound of it you reloaded all the catalogs onto the server from separate .cdv files? That would work, but for future reference the easiest way is to export a SQL dump of the data on one machine (easily done using the Export button in the control panel) and then load that on the new machine (which involves some command line jiggery pokery because it consists of wiping and recreating the database, but is described in the server release notes).

As for previews, the catalogs don't contain the previews or directly link to the previews, so you don't need to update the catalogs. Instead, you need to update the Media Search Paths in your CatDV preferences. To find a preview, CatDV looks at the Media Path stored against the clip (or the tape and timceode, if you're using tape-based previews) then looks up the corresponding preview file using the path rules stored in preferences.

-Rolf

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on Feb 7, 2014 at 5:30:03 pm

I know this is old but I have found out why this error occurs. I imagine that you are running an ISCSI SAN?

I have constant conflicts with the process 'iscsid' daemon affecting the rmi registry and essentially using port 1099. I am using ATTO XTEND SAN.

I can't get the server to run on port 1099 unless I kill the iscsid process. This process seems to run on startup even if you take ATTO off automatic logon.

If you look in the log:

at com.attotech.iscsid.Daemon$RMILoaderSPI.loadClass(Daemon.java:2003)

Thats the issue. ISCSI is common for video SAN environments. There seems to be some kind of conflict here.

Rolf, can you offer any solutions?

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited
http://neoverite.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 7, 2014 at 5:40:44 pm

That's why port 1199 was invented. ;)

When we use Atto stuff we just move the system to 1199. No problems with that as long as your address in the client is something like:

server.domain.net:1199

or 192.168.x.x:1199

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]