FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV and BRU PE ?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Burleson
CatDV and BRU PE ?
on Jan 27, 2011 at 10:50:48 pm

Does CatDV work with BRU PE from Tolis Group?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV and BRU PE ?
on Jan 28, 2011 at 7:57:33 am

Currently, there's no integration between the two systems.

Other than the DAX system all the other integrations (Atempo, Cache-A, Front Porch) are XML based or in the case of Cache-A, made possible by having mountable virtual volumes that CatDV can pass data to.

If you are looking for an archive solution, could you maybe tell the board a bit about the size of the archives you are looking to create? Dax is aimed at larger systems and is priced by the terrabyte. So the bigger the archive, the more the license costs. (remember, archive and backup are separate things) Sorry to cross post here but you asked similar questions in each thread. I'd advise you to contact the DAX folks directly but my understanding is that they are focused on larger systems as opposed to the smaller shops served by BRU PE. (again, not sure what you're looking for)

In all of the backup and archive systems you can of course use CatDV to catalog the files that are being sent to the device, but dealing with tape systems is a very specific world, and sadly, financial reality leads most companies to focus on the larger (read more expensive) solutions since the number of installs is so low in this field. (10 Atempo installs might cost the same money as 100 BRU PE installs, for instance, so I can understand why they do it.) It's frustrating for my smaller clients who are now needing a solid system but can't spend into the mid-5 figures (and up) to get one.

I've personally found it hard to beat the Cache-A for a smaller archive system just for ease of use and data management (it's searchable on it's own). BRU PE is a rock solid piece of software but offers little in the way of built in, or third party archive search capabilities.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Randy Burleson
on Jan 31, 2011 at 7:13:18 pm

We are a small production facility... 2 FCP edit stations. We are looking to make the jump to solid state media. Either P2 or AJA KiPro MINI . Either way we will need to archive our footage.
It seems LTO5 would be the best for us.
We are looking a SAN with a MacPro workstation attached.
at first I was thinking of just using the BRU PE and an LTO5 drive to use for simple archiving. Then I thought ...Hmmm this CatDV cataloging would be GREAT!
But if it is going to cost me another $15K (approx) for the CatDV software PLUS a CACHE-A archive appliance then I am not sure that I need cataloging that bad.
I am sure that it is wonderful, but may not be practical for my work and budget.

If we label and keep an Excel spreadsheet with library numbers for the tapes and keep track of what project is on what tape. That may be good enough. If CatDV did Archiving too or if BRU PE did cataloging Like CatDV those options might have worked.

I am NOT IN ANY WAY complaining about anyone's product. I am sure they are all wonderful and do exactly what they are designed to do. It is just that my budget isn't there.

Thanks for all the input!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jan 31, 2011 at 10:17:10 pm

You are on the right track.

And I feel you about the budget stuff. But know that the Cache-A is not that much more than a regular LTO, once you put in the fact that you need a computer to run the archive and that that machine is basically out of commission while you do it, it makes a lot more sense. (don't fool yourself that you'll only use LTO at night, cause that means it's 2 days before you will you have 2 copies of your archive unless you have magic night elves)

- note: Magic Night ElvesĀ© are not included with any version of CatDV.

Cache-A boxes start at $7,000, not far off from LTO when you factor in the machine. But if you're doing short archives, and aren't in a time crunch, I get it, it's easy to add LTO to a rig that's under-utilized.

The only other thing is if you have to deliver to networks. TAR is the format of choice of most networks and studios. Cache-A writes tar. But if it's in-house, that's not an issue either.

The trusty old spreadsheet is a solid solution. I always say that asset management is not for people who "want" it. It can all be done some other way. It's for people who need it. When you simply can't do it by hand anymore, you start to look at CatDV and all. You can totally run a basic production manually. (we've all done it for years!) But once production is too big and moves too fast, then you start to worry about automations and software help. It's all a matter of scale.

Just be aware of your growth and pace so that you don't pick a limited solution that you outgrow too quickly.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Feb 7, 2011 at 9:18:44 pm

http://www.daxarchiving.com/en/solutions/broadcast-archive/solution.html

I use BruPe as well and while talking to them about a problem they mentioned the above solution which uses CatDv and the Bru engine.
I haven't looked into it and am just passing it on :-)

Best
Carsten

Carsten

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]