FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV Pro trial text export

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jenine Lindeque
CatDV Pro trial text export
on Jan 19, 2010 at 1:23:45 pm

Our production company is interested in buying CatDV Pro 8.0.8 as a logging system.

Question one:
We are testing the trial version at the moment but I am having problems using the text Tab separated text option (assuming this is because it is the trial version). We are creating a database of stock footage and I would like to know if I can export an entire catalogue into a text document?

Has anyone done this using CatDV?
Would anyone have a sample of what this looks like? (e.g. Does it create a thumbnail?)

Question two:
I have read that the software is cross-platform, our entire system is on MAC however we might have to use a PC server to archive, does this mean the program will be able to communicate with the PC server from a MAC desktop?

We are very impressed with the trial version and will definitely buy the software once we have cleared up these questions.

Thanks!

Jei
Cooked in Africa Films

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV Pro trial text export
on Jan 19, 2010 at 4:51:01 pm

Hi there,

The exports are easily done and you can export selected records as text. (make sure you have them selected)

As far as the PC server, one of the great things about CatDV is that it doesn't care where the files live, as long as your mac can access them. Mac server, PC server, NAS, SAN, whatever you have, if it mounts on your mac, you can store and catalog the files there.

If you have more trouble with the export, feel free to buzz me via email and I can give you a quick screenshare demo of the exports, if you like. (any dealer you are working with should be able to arrange this as well.)

hope this helps,

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Jenine Lindeque
on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:15:10 am

Thanks for the help!

I am trying to get hold of the sales and support guys at squarebox to get an extented version of the trial demo with no restrictions, but I am still waiting on their reply. We are based in South Africa so we are not buying through a dealer and it is impossible for us to just pop in to their office for a demo.

Hopefully I will get a response soon, but I'll be sure to give you a shout if I need your help with a demo!

Kind Regards
Jenine Lindeque
Colourist
Cooked in Africa films
+27 (0) 73 175 4578
+27 (0) 21 447 2755
Fax +27 (0) 866 188 667
http://www.cookedinafrica.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jan 20, 2010 at 4:56:39 pm

(I know we've been in touch off list to send you a demo license but I thought I'd follow up and answer your questions here for the record).

You can export in various formats, including XML, tab-separated text, HTML, batch logs etc. Obviously a tab-separated file doesn't include thumbnails because it's a text file, but you can export thumbnails separately as required.

Yes, you can share files between Mac and PC using CatDV. In a typical scenario similar to what you describe you might have full res files in Apple ProRes or something for use on the edit suites but create low-res MPEG4 or Motion-JPEG (OfflineRT) proxies for use on office PCs.

-Rolf

Return to posts index

Jenine Lindeque
on Jan 21, 2010 at 6:34:39 am

Yes thank you so much for the reply and the unlimited trail version.
We are testing it out at the moment and loving the software!

Thank you so much to the guys from squarebox for the very detailed and quick reponse.

Kind Regards
Jenine Lindeque
Colourist
Cooked in Africa films
+27 (0) 73 175 4578
+27 (0) 21 447 2755
Fax +27 (0) 866 188 667

Return to posts index

Jenine Lindeque
on Jan 22, 2010 at 6:01:08 am

Three more questions about the CatDV software?

1. Any ideas where to find the spell check in the logger? I can't seem to find where to activate it?

2. The short cut key to next 'clip' and 'previous' clip does not work, instead if changes screens in spaces.
I am using the wrong shortcut? "command + Up" or "command + down", or do have have a wrong setting somewhere?

3. If I accidentally delete a clip in the logging window there in no pop up to warn you and there doesn't seem to be an undo. How can I prevent this? Has anyone else had this problem?

Otherwise I find the software an absolute pleasure to use. No other system I have tested has had such a user-friendly approach and so many useful functions! The batch edit is a dream and the search options are fast and very specific! I wish I could shake the designers hand! Well done to squarebox, for making such a economic and super design!

Any help on my questions would be very appreciated!

Kind Regards
Jenine Lindeque
Colourist
Cooked in Africa films
+27 (0) 73 175 4578
+27 (0) 21 447 2755
Fax +27 (0) 866 188 667

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
on Jan 22, 2010 at 8:52:48 am

Hi Jenine
thank you for your kind comments..Command Up arrow should work but I think you have a pref set in the keyboard settings just go in there and deactivate it and CATDV will work fine. FCP is the same you need to deactivate F9 and F10 from its defaults to use it .. and also you are mistaken Command Z will UNDO your delete command. Just remember as Bryson has pointed out in another post that no media is deleted just the clip from the Catalog. You can drag the movie back into the browser and re-analyse it and add it back to your catalog.

Cheers

Kevin Duggan
Catdv

Return to posts index

Jenine Lindeque
on Jan 22, 2010 at 10:15:33 am

Thanks for the reply!

I tried using the command + Z to undo but it doesn't seem to work.

Do you have any advice on the spell checking?

Thanks

Kind Regards
Jenine Lindeque
Colourist
Cooked in Africa films
+27 (0) 73 175 4578
+27 (0) 21 447 2755
Fax +27 (0) 866 188 667

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jan 22, 2010 at 11:05:45 am

Try selecting Undo from the Edit menu if the keyboard shortcut doesn't work. The effect of key presses can vary depending on where the keyboard focus is. For example, when you're in a text field pressing Cmd-A will select all the text in that field, whereas at other times it will select all the clips in the main window. That's also why the tab which shows your movie sometimes has blue and sometimes has white text by the way. The "Movie" label is shown in blue whenever the movie has focus, ie. pressing the space bar will toggle playback rather than typing a space into the current text field.

The spell checker isn't currently available due to a 3rd party licensing issue but please contact sales@squarebox.co.uk if you need further information.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]