FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Very General Query"

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin White
"Very General Query"
on Jan 10, 2011 at 7:33:54 pm

Anyone know of a way to keep this message, "Are you sure you want to perform query anyway?", from opening every time I use the "Any Logging Field" when searching for footage? I've gone through the settings and manual countless times trying to find away to keep this from happening. It's just getting alittle annoying when I'm trying to research footage and I only have one or two key words to help me in my search.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: "Very General Query"
on Jan 10, 2011 at 9:41:31 pm

No sorry, since 8.1.7 I'm afraid it always displays that warning if you search for "any field" contains something, with no other query terms to narrow down the search. If you have a large database it can take a long time to do a query like that because it can't use any indexes and has to trawl through every field of every clip. It could takes minutes rather than seconds, and is a very easy "mistake" to make, so if at all possible you're encouraged to perform a more specific search instead. Is this a big problem?

Return to posts index

Justin White
on Jan 12, 2011 at 3:33:07 pm

Not a huge problem, just kind of annoyance shared by myself and fellow co-workers/editors. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a way to avoid the message other than adding info to another field.

Thanks for the input!

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
on Jan 12, 2011 at 5:22:32 pm

Hi Justin

the very general query is a sledgehammer to crack a nut as opposed to the scalpel blade precision of an indexed query. I like to call it a query of last resort. This is why you see it is an option to display it in the Simple Query fields. It is the worst possible search in that it has to trawl the whole of the database for a match and the bigger the database the longer you have to wait. Usually you can help the speed by giving the system hints... ie what year , what series , something to get the indexed searching working . In my teaching this stuff to users you notice that we are all fundamentally lazy, so the any logging field option seems to mean that we will get what we want , so lets use that.. However we all want speed as well.So a well constructed logging schema will help your users find stuff faster. Explore so called Smart folders , they are really queries with more than one criteria , a mixture of these and teaching your users how to "GOOGLE" this stuff will make them all happy campers... There is a lot of traffic about this subject in this forum..

Kevin Duggan
Catdv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]