FORUMS: list search recent posts

catdv standalone + LTO solution

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Dempsey
catdv standalone + LTO solution
on Dec 15, 2010 at 5:59:29 pm

I work in a music business management firm and I'm now charged with creating an archvial/repurposing solution of AV content from our touring clients. Specifically, I am planning a solution to handle a tapeless workflow from road to office whereby I manage video content coming back to us, log it, understand what we have, archive content to LTO, and then provide the opportunity to repurpose this material on an as needed basis. I have looked at various configurations and Bryson Jones and Bob Zelin have been very helpful in particular at walking me through this new universe. Originally, I was thinking we'd set up a networked environment to allow simple in-house access to this content for a couple people. That solution may be viable in the future, but since we are starting from scratch, I want to establish a solid workflow that is scalable and that will allow me to manage these assets, understand them, make recommendations for future use, and preserve them. I am leaning toward catdv standalone for basic database and logging and some form of LTO solution for archive. I know cache-a partners with catdv, but I'm not sure we need that full prime-cache solution. Is it therefore possible to use catdv standalone and a more basic LTO solution/combination? I appreciate any feedback and/or ideas.

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
Re: catdv standalone + LTO solution
on Dec 16, 2010 at 12:08:39 am

I would take a very serious look at the Cache-A as alternatives tend to be more complex and or not easily scalable. CatDV and Cache-A really work out of the box with very minimal set up and configuration regardless of a single user or multiple users!

Contact me offline and we will get you evaluation licenses of CatDV so you can test this functionality!

Return to posts index

warwick teale
on Dec 17, 2010 at 3:51:40 am

another excellent alternative I\'ve used for a while with catdv is a combination of bru-pe+HP 1840 or HP 1760 lto ultrium sas tape drives+atto h380 hba

Yep this assumes a desktop machine with pcie slots! much cheaper that the cache-a solution btw. Lots of change left over.

Replace mt lto4 ultriums with newer HP lto5 ultrium and the plausible but yet unproven LTFS and maybe ditch the software app.

Only workflow issue is I have no tight integration between catdv and bru-pe yet. So I do this manually

I also have added user folds in the catdv metadata for tying my stuff together

Works ok

Btw I have 24TB of disk and I\'ll tellbyou that the lto4 tape archive has saved me many times when disk arrays have failed.

Hth

Return to posts index

Brian Dempsey
on Dec 17, 2010 at 3:20:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback Warwick and Matthew. I'm checking out workflows and may post again with updates.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]