FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apply Timecode offset...

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
Apply Timecode offset...
on Nov 24, 2010 at 10:20:47 pm

The continuous Timecode feature in Apply Timecode Offset (ATO) is awesome! I see that using ATO on media without a TC track, like 5D media, only sends TC and Reel if "Export to FCP" is used. I would like to export ref movies that have TC and Reel added in CatDV. After some experimenting I see that I need to use the "Add Timecode Track" (ATT) command in order to export movies with the modified TC and Reel. The ATT command alters the original media file. This is something we'd like to avoid as it invites file corruption.

I have found a work around: I first catalog the 5D files then export ref movies of all of them. I then catalog these and run the ATO command and then ATT. Once this is done I can Export Ref movies that contain Reel and TC.

So I have a few feature requests:
1) Allow "Export as Movie" to create a TC Track after ATO without ATT.
2) Allow the addition of "Reel" when "Continuous Timecode" is selected. Now it is greyed out when that's selected, requiring two passes to add Continuous TC and Reel.
3) Add a "Time of Day" TC option using the THM or mov creation times ala the Canon FCP Plug in.

We use CatDV to virtualize camera original media in the form of ref movies. This allows us to apply meaningful names via "Bulk Edit" and Reel and Timecode via ATO without touching the camera original files. We then send these ref movies to our Episode cluster for conversion to our ProRes "in house" standard.

Thanks for reading
John Heagy

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: Apply Timecode offset...
on Nov 29, 2010 at 10:38:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback John.

CatDV Pro 8.1.10 has the option to apply a time of day timecode when importing media which has no other timecode information (it's an option in Advanced Media Preferences). (This has the effect of setting the IN point of the clip in CatDV to something other than 0:00:00:00, it doesn't automatically add a timecode track, which in any case would only be relevant to QuickTime movies).

You can add a timecode track when exporting QuickTime reference movies by checking the option under Other Tracks.

I'm not sure offhand why the apply contiguous timecode offset doesn't let you set the tape but we'll investigate.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Nov 29, 2010 at 11:59:59 pm

Thanks Rolf,

I just tried 8.1.10, the TOD is great. I didn't think of the TC extra track settings on export. That does the trick, but there's no way to exclude the TC Text. Turns out FCP ignores it but I'd rather it not be there. I just need the TC/Reel track but not the visual Text Track.

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Nov 30, 2010 at 7:34:39 pm

When this can all be done with the Worker, that will change lives!

Any plans for this feature soon?

Pick up the mov and thm, import, create prores and proxy and then we could archive the originals. That would rock.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Nov 30, 2010 at 8:54:28 pm

You mean time of day timecode for DSLR movies? We already have a beta of the worker with that in. Didn't I already send you a link? :-)

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Dec 1, 2010 at 3:43:23 am

You know I've been on "holiday" as you say. ;)

I'll get to testing that with some of our vacation footage!

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]