FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying partial text from Verbatim Logger / Searching (and finding) verbatim loggertext

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Johnson-Laird
Copying partial text from Verbatim Logger / Searching (and finding) verbatim loggertext
on Oct 3, 2010 at 5:31:14 am

I'm running CatDV 8.1.6. on a MacPro with OS X 10.5.8.

I've cataloged and verbatim logged about 50 hours of video spread across about ten catalogs. Now what I need to do is search for particular narrative (which is easy via Browse Catalogs), and create an editing script in Word. In the video column I need to be able to put the clip names, followed by a partial copy and paste of relevant event markers and subsequent dialog from the Verbatim Logger window.

The idea is to create a script of the form:

[Poster frame optional]
Followed by a chunk of dialog spanning several lines.
Followed by more dialog.

[Poster frame optional]
Dialog goes here.
:
:

The problem seems to be that CatDV does not allow one to select and copy only part of the text in the verbatim logger window. The COPY TEXT button puts the entire text on the clip board, but this is not terribly useful as some clips run for tens of minutes.

Is there a way of copying just part of the verbatim text to the clipboard.

Also, what I really need to be able to do is search all ten catalogs for certain key words and then be able to go to the place in the verbatim transcript of the specific clip(s) where that word is fount.

It appears that Browse Catalogs gets me to the nearest catalog, and presents the clip(s) that match the search hit. Is there a way of searching for specific verbatim text in the clip(s) and going straight to the relevant place in the verbatim text of the *clip(s)*?

The best workaround I have come up with is to export all of the catalogs as HTML, "print" them to a PDF file, then use Acrobat to combine the ten PDFs into a single PDF. Then I can search the combined PDF, do a copy and paste of the clip name to the Word file, then copy and paste just that part of the verbatim logger dialog that I need.

It seems a bit inefficient to do it this way. Has anyone found a better way preferably using CatDV?

Thanks in advance
Andy

Forensic Software/Internet/Image Analyst
Portland, Oregon

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Copying partial text from Verbatim Logger / Searching (and finding) verbatim loggertext
on Oct 4, 2010 at 8:51:24 pm

I was able to copy out of the HTML Summary, any piece I wanted.

Do you have that turned on? If not, it's under the "Customise Detail Panel" in the preferences. It'll show you a full summary of all the info, including the "notes" and you can cut and paste directly out of it.

Also Clip Summary should allow this as well.

Hope that gets you there.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: Copying partial text from Verbatim Logger / Searching (and finding) verbatim loggertext
on Oct 4, 2010 at 9:23:49 pm

You should be able to select and copy a range using Cmd-C. The only thing to watch is not start the selection by clicking within a marker, as that will jump to that point in the timeline, but dragging over a marker should have no effect.

You can also copy text from the Notes field (after saving as text) or from the HTML summary.

You can search text within the Verbatim Logger using Cmd-F/Cmd-G (or other shortcut you may have defined) but that search capability isn't linked to the Browse Catalogs screen functionality I'm afraid, so you'd have to retype the search text.

-Rolf

Return to posts index

Andy Johnson-Laird
on Oct 4, 2010 at 9:43:16 pm

Hey Bryson/Rolf:
Thanks very much. I *knew* that there had to be a way. Never thought to look there, though. (Sound of hand smacking forehead! Duh!)

Regards
Andy

Forensic Software/Internet/Image Analyst
Portland, Oregon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]