FORUMS: list search recent posts

Admin vs Editor account

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geof Gilland
Admin vs Editor account
on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:27:48 pm

In the library window, I import clips and I can just as easily delete clips. This concerns me because once a clip is in the library, I don't want the editors to be able to delete the clip. Is there a way to set up the library for the editors that allows Reading, Editing In/Out points, Exporting, etc., but does not allow clip deletion?

thanks.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: Admin vs Editor account
on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:52:59 pm

What version of CatDV are you using?

The Workgroup server is designed for small installations where everyone knows what everyone else is doing and everyone is working in the same shared area, so it doesn't provide access control or keep track of who is doing what.

The Enterprise server adds users, groups and permissions, so you can set things up so only certain users can delete clips from the server.

Return to posts index

Geof Gilland
on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:57:54 pm

Just using a single version of CatDV Pro. Want to upgrade to server version but can't afford yet.

Are you saying, using just CatDV Pro, that once clips are entered into the library they can just as easily be deleted? Just seems as if there should be a harder method to delete clips....even if it is just a screen that pops up, " Are you sure you want to delete this clip?"

Return to posts index

Dennis Kutchera
on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:07:00 pm

I have to agree with this. I have accidentally hit delete twice. Fortunately you can undo. And you are not deleting media, only clip info. If you use the "delete media files" command, it does ask you to confirm. I think it would be nice to have the same double warning for when you are deleting clip info.

FWIW, the same thing goes for Final Cut Pro. I despise the way I can delete something in a bin and >>POOF!<< it is gone. Apple needs to take a lesson from Avid where there is a second dialog that pops up asking if you want to delete media only (split into audio and video tracks) or the clip info or both. Hey, not a bad idea for CatDV as well.

In spite of any of these short-comings, CatDV has completely transformed the way I work with Final Cut Pro. I have not tried it with Avid yet, but I will at some point.

Dennis

Return to posts index

Geof Gilland
on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:29:02 pm

So the clip information is gone but not the clip from the library? Can you clarify how this works? If I delete the clip info from the library, how do i get it back?

Return to posts index

Craig Swanson
on Jan 19, 2010 at 7:02:20 am

Dennis,

Can you expand on your CatDV and FCP workflow. I want to use it with FCP too. I edit a lot of P2 projects and would like to use CatDv with the MXF and XML files. Unfortunately I just found out MXF isn't available on the stand alone software, but I'm still curious as to how you are doing things.

I currently use P2 log pro and don't like the fact that it has to transcode to a quicktime. I do like how it maps metadata to FCP as I'm usually only using the user clip name I've assigned it in the field to edit with.

Craig Swanson

Macbook Pro 17
2.6 ghz
4 gigs ram
GeForce 8600 GT 512 mb
HD One 8 drive Raid 5
QT 7.6.3 / QT 10.0
FCP 7

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
on Jan 22, 2010 at 2:37:25 am

Hi Craig
essentially there are two technologies in play ..both MXF4mac and Calibrated software extend qtime to play P2 files natively. Catdv is able via drag and drop to figure out how the disparate audio and video files fit together and present it inside the CATDV MAM as a single clip, then via XML and again drag and drop describe these files to FCP as an object inside the FCP browser as a single clip entity. It can also add markers etc and write back to the P2 XML and produce markers that are understood also within modern AVIDS.. basically tech magic

hope this helps and intrigues

Kevin Duggan
Catdv Product Manager

Return to posts index

Craig Swanson
on Jan 24, 2010 at 1:32:18 am

Kevin,

I was speaking to my friend Jeremy Wallace at NASCAR. He says it's really interesting software and looks forward to working with it. We both used to work at NBC and he thought I knew about the software through them. Matt Stamos gave me a tour of the software already. He probably spent close to an hour showing me around. I read somewhere that the stand alone software isn't configured to work with MFX yet. You would have to get the server edition. Is that true?

Craig Swanson

Macbook Pro 17
2.6 ghz
4 gigs ram
GeForce 8600 GT 512 mb
HD One 8 drive Raid 5
QT 7.6.3 / QT 10.0
FCP 7

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Jan 24, 2010 at 4:01:53 pm

Hey Craig CatDV does offer the Desktop Professional with MXF and/or a Cache-A plugin as well but as I understand there is not an upgrade path just yet.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:39:09 pm

If you're using CatDV Pro standalone, think of the catalog files you create as if they're a spreadsheet or Word document. Anyone who can edit the document can delete a row, yes.

Just as with an Excel document, if you delete something accidentally all you need to do is choose Undo (or close the document without saving changes and reopen it).

Return to posts index

Geof Gilland
on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:47:51 pm

Got it. I don't like the answer but I understand the reasoning behind it.

But I really like what the software is doing for us in our very limited use so far.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jan 15, 2010 at 8:17:06 pm

If you made it so you had to do some weird unlock, everyone would gripe about having to do that. ;)

The server can protect data, (even fields now) but in no other desktop app, can you really control deletion. (mail, word, excel, even the mac finder)

When you are "deleting" in catdv, you are only deleting a reference to a clip. So no media would be harmed. Even though losing metadata sucks.

To protect shared data for "searchers" I manage the permissions on my catalog folder so that they can only read. That way only people who can edit can delete. It's the cheap way to get a bit of safety. No matter what they delete, they can't save.

The other thing is that I always immediately backup my catalog as soon as I add clips, that way I have a path back and protection from silly users (including myself).

There was more to this post, but I hit "delete". Can someone fix firefox so it doesn't do that? ;)

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]