How to recover clips from a big (50k clips) RECYCLE BIN

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Romain Kedochim
How to recover clips from a big (50k clips) RECYCLE BIN
on Sep 23, 2010 at 10:04:09 am

Hiya!

I hope you guys can help!

I am currently working on a massive project using catDV Pro 8.1.6 and the CatDV Server. And I need to recover a few clips that were deleted. They are now in the RECYCLE BIN catalog which contains a little over 50,000 entries.

Problem is that when I try to display the content of the catalog, I get an out of memory error.

I tried making a query where I specify "catalog [equals/contains] RECYCLE BIN" but it returns an error saying there is no matching catalog:

Rolf's still looking into it as far as I am aware. And I am planning on removing every single thumbnails from the database to make it lighter. But for now, I have no way to recover anything from there.

Guys, any idea? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Romain Kedochim
Re: How to recover clips from a big (50k clips) RECYCLE BIN
on Sep 23, 2010 at 10:17:24 am

Ok, spoke to Rolf, my catDV's version has an issue. So we'll have to do it via the SQL command line... But if you guys usually do that, do let me know how. I'd really appreciate it.

Ta!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 23, 2010 at 8:51:34 pm

Rolf,

So, if you did this in the SQL CLI, would you just search the clips and then redefine the catalog that they are listed in? Or is it an export of the data and re-import into CatDV?

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Sep 27, 2010 at 8:54:40 am

Recent versions of the server have an issue where you can't perform a query to bring back only part of the recycle bin. You can only open up the entire bin, which in the case of a very large number of deleted clips isn't practical. The clips are there, you just can't get to them without a bit of SQL magic! This will be fixed in a forthcoming update.

Return to posts index

Romain Kedochim
on Sep 28, 2010 at 9:42:50 am

Rolf,

Since you're here (and thank god you are here!), could you give a tip on how to get to the data via SQL if needed? I may have to recover a few more by the end of the week and cannot keep using up your time! :p

Thanks again for your precious help!
Romain.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Sep 28, 2010 at 11:52:56 am

I'm always reluctant to suggest people go straight to the database and issue direct SQL commands because it is so easily to accidentally delete or corrupt the entire database with a single command, without being asked for any confirmation.

If you really want to do it yourself however, the first thing you need to do is find the id of the catalog you want to undelete the clips to (eg. by bringing up the catalog details for that catalog on the client and looking at the first part of the Object ID field). Let's say this is 112233, and you want to undelete clips called 'ABC-1' and 'ABC-2'. You could then type

mysql> UPDATE clip SET catalogID=112233 WHERE catalogID=0 AND name IN ('ABC-1', 'ABC-2') ;

A better approach might be for me to mail you a beta of the server where you can perform queries against the RECYCLE NAME.

Return to posts index

Romain Kedochim
on Sep 28, 2010 at 11:57:14 am

Well, Thanks a lot for that... I have to admit, I'd like to avoid tempering with the DB altogether. And anything that would allow me to know if the clip I am missing is in the bin would be a good start. After that, I will still need to be able to recover the clips identified, one way or another.

I'd love to have that beta version.
But I'm willing to wait till you have a more final version.

Thanks Rolf, you're the man!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]