FORUMS: list search recent posts

How does your Workflow with FCP looks like?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonid Nekrasov
How does your Workflow with FCP looks like?
on Sep 16, 2010 at 9:46:02 am

Hi,

THE SITUATION
we have the Enterprise Server with Worker Node and five FCP editing places. We produce news feeds: short videoclips for online. We use different footage; EPKs, trailer,some other downloads, some own camerafootage. We don't need to archive them all, but some of them are very important.

THE QUESTION
I still can't find the right workflow for this task.
In what order would you use CatDv Pro and FCP?
How would use the Worker? I am a big friend of automatic workflows.
How do you organize and use all the staff. The good size for a catalog is a about 2000 clips. After that you have to create a new catalog. But if I start CatDV, what Catalog should I load, an empty one, the last FCP Catalog?

THANK YOU for any advice?
Regards
Leo

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: How does your Workflow with FCP looks like?
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:42:20 pm

Hi Leonid,

That's a pretty large order there. But I'm sure the guys and gals here on the forum can pitch in on how they use their systems.

My initial thoughts are perhaps to write out the steps of your workflow as they stand so you can get an idea of where to use CatDV.

You ask about whether people use CatDV of FCP first. That depends on how your shop works. One instance that I saw in your post was where you mentioned that you had downloaded footage coming in. In a shop I did this year, we automated a watch folder so that all of their ftp uploads are brought into catalogs for the editors to browse. They added codes to their filenames of the incoming files so that each type of footage was sorted into it's own catalog. The editors then looked at the catalogs when they came in in the morning and started their edits from that footage.

Now, after saying that... your editors may already be managing their media well and they may want to ingest straight into FCP first and then catalog only what they choose. Both of these options are equally valid. That's why the Squarebox crew are so adamant about people working with their dealer or integrator to help with their workflows. It can be so specific to the post house or production.

I'd love to hear from the folks on this board as to whether they go to CatDV or FCP first. So maybe folks could speak to that while they offer their workflows.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Sep 17, 2010 at 11:31:21 am

As Bryson says, there are lots of different workflows possible with CatDV, so it all depends on what you're trying to do and what makes sense for you, eg. how much logging/tagging/archiving you want to do before editing and how you want to select which shots to use.

One common workflow is to capture and log everything first. You can ingest using FCP and set a worker node watch folder on capture scratch to import files into CatDV and build low res proxies (OfflineRT or H264). You could publish these clips to an In Box catalog, and then monitor that catalog (using CatDV on another machine) to move them to another catalog, depending on who you've assigned to work on them, or based on the project. You can log and tag the clips within CatDV, making subclips or creating markers to highlight the portions you want to use or even creating basic cuts only sequences. If you have a mixed environment (FCP edit suites connected to a SAN and Windows PCs on producers' desks on the office network) you can do your logging and shot selection on the desktop PCs using the low res proxies and then transfer the sequences back to FCP to relink them to the online media. Such an approach works well for documentaries, weekly TV shows, etc.

Alternatively, in a news environment where a faster turnaround may be needed, you can do your logging and shot selection in FCP as footage is ingested, then import your FCP projects into CatDV via XML afterwards so your assets become available for future programs. Use CatDV as a catalog of all your library footage, so the editor can easily search for and include library clips as required. Or go for a combination of both approaches and use CatDV to help with logging on the edit suites using tools such as the verbatim logger and automatic scene detection.

The answer is, it all depends on what you want to do, but CatDV can probably help you at every stage of the workflow :-)

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Sep 18, 2010 at 2:07:34 am

I have found that I use CATdv and FCP simultaneously. My edit system has dual monitors, and so even though I have ingested all of the media into BOTH FCP and CATdv, I keep them both open. When I'm searching for a shot, I find that the thumbnail size and meta data display from CATdv is much more conducive to browsing than FCP. So, I'll switch to CATdv, browse files, find a shot, then switch back to FCP to edit. Our numbering system allows me to easily find the bin within FCP, and then begin to work with that media in the timeline.

I agree with Bryson that a good "customizer" can do wonders for your workflow. For that to take place though, you really need to sit down and plot out what you're trying to accomplish. We work in reality TV where we have much, much more media than can easily be browsed in FCP. CATdv answers the question, "How can we easily browse, identify, and then work with the media in FCP". For us it's "simultaneous use".

Mark

Return to posts index

Leonid Nekrasov
on Sep 18, 2010 at 8:21:23 pm

Hi everybody and thanks for your replays so far.

I know there are no two similar workflows. The guys from CatDV showed me that on the IBC in Amsterdam. CatDV offers many ways to organize the workflow, and that irritates me :)) Even now, when I am writing this message, I have some new ideas how I could manage it.

90 % of the material we edit is new material, and only 10 % comes from archive. To change this ratio, we want to develop an archive. That is why we want to use CatDV. On the one hand CatDv could help us to organize our workflows and to improve them. On the other hand it could help us to develop the archive.

It is very interesting to read about your experiences and your workflows. For instance, I never thought before of such thing as using CATdv and FCP simultaneously.

It would be nice if you continue to share your experience.

Best Regards from Berlin

Leonid

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Sep 19, 2010 at 2:31:10 am

[Leonid Nekrasov] "It would be nice if you continue to share your experience."

One freebie per customer!

Mark

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 23, 2010 at 3:06:56 am

It's weird, I'm not hearing from the guys on the board who're doing this. I will say that most shops are so different that there's very little cross pollination between setups.

Of course, systems tend to have basic building blocks that translate. Such as catalog creation, tagging, logging etc. But the way and order that you do them in will tend to be very specific to your company.

Can I ask where you bought your software and if they provided training? That's really where I'd start, they should be able to come out, spend a few hours and get you started on your way. We tend to do that with our clients and then do a few followups and then it seems to go to more "project" oriented things after that. Usually after you're up and running, you can handle most small changes yourself, but without that first bit of hand holding, it can be rough to get started.

Good luck, and keep us posted as things come together.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]