FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clip ID, HTML Export and Verbatim Logger ?s

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Whitney Sickels
Clip ID, HTML Export and Verbatim Logger ?s
on Aug 30, 2010 at 12:31:31 pm

Hi there,

We have recently added Clip ID to our clips to easily identify them. We like the automatically generated aspect, however, this field is an editable field - so anyone can change/delete it. If the Clip ID is accidentally deleted, it does regenerate a new one once it is saved, but you can see where this would no longer be useful if we are referring to the previous Clip ID. Is there a way to make this field not editable?

Also regarding Clip ID, we send clients the Clip Summary and want to ask them to refer to the clip by the Clip ID. However, I cannot find a way to add the Clip ID to the Clip Summary. Is this possible?

Regarding HTML Export, is it possible to include a Flimstrip View? This may come in handy if clients can see 'snippets' or several thumbnails of a clip without having to send them a video file.

Finally, when I Copy and Special Paste a shot list into the Verbatim Logger, it changes all quotation marks, apostrophes and dashes to question marks. (So it looks like this: SOUNDBITE: ?I?d like to think this problem can be fixed ? I?m spending a lot of time fixing it.?) Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I thought it was a PC/Mac issue, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

We are using version 8.1.5 on Mac OS X. Cheers!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Clip ID, HTML Export and Verbatim Logger ?s
on Aug 30, 2010 at 3:42:50 pm

Can I ask if you are on a server version of CatDV? Also, do you have the Worker?

In server, you can create fields that are non-editable. Also, with Worker, you could take the clip ID and automatically add it to a "user" clip ID (ideally maybe adding the name or other info, if needed) which would be locked from "regular" users.

Hope this helps.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
on Aug 30, 2010 at 6:21:14 pm

HI Whitney..
How are you keeping... ? You are going to need that ADMINISTRATOR password again .. So go into prefs Then Customise Details Panel . Select the summary panel and click EDIT. You will get a two panel window. The left hand side is a list of fields . Click into this and start to type clip ID .. it should locate you to the correct field .. select this and click the right facing arrow which puts the field into the right hand panel . You can drag this up and down to change the order . Click OK and you are done. Clip ID is now on the summary Panel.

Hope this helps

Kevin

Return to posts index

Whitney Sickels
on Aug 31, 2010 at 7:41:20 am

Hi Kevin,

I do have the Clip ID showing on the Summary panel. However, when I right click a clip and select Clip Summary, I do not see the Clip ID on this, and this is what we save as a pdf and send to clients. Is there a way to get it on this Clip Summary?

Doing well on this end! Hope to see you at the IBC.

Whitney

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Aug 31, 2010 at 8:49:14 am

The HTML Clip Summary normally uses a pre-defined, built-in field list. You can define your own fields however by creating a customised view called "HTML Summary" and it will use the fields from that instead.

Note that you need to create a customised main window view called HTML Summary, not a customised details panel layout. It doesn't matter whether you make it a list, thumbnail or film strip view, it's just the columns in that view that are used.

Return to posts index

Whitney Sickels
on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:36:49 pm

Sorry Rolf, this may be a silly question but Tulio and I can't find how to create a "customised main window view" to call HTML Summary. I definitely see it in the Customise Details Panel, but there it is only a box to check whether or not you want to show it - not to edit.

Thanks for your help!
Whitney

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:46:31 pm

It's in View > Customise Views, or Preferences > Customise Views (as opposed to Logging > Customise Details Panel, or Preferences > Customise Details Panel!)

I still can't reproduce the ? instead of quotes issue, by the way, so if you can mail us an example to test with that would be a big help.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Aug 30, 2010 at 7:16:49 pm

When it regenerates the clip ID it should normally use the same ID (if the clip name, record date, and other fields haven't changed since the first time) but you're right, we should perhaps add an option to lock that field.

When you do an HTML export it only includes a single thumbnail I'm afraid.

I'm not sure why quotes would be being converted to question marks. What are you copying the text from? I just tried it from a Word document including both normal and smart quotes and they all came across ok. Perhaps you could email a small example log file as an attachment to support@squarebox.co.uk for us to test.

Return to posts index

Whitney Sickels
on Aug 31, 2010 at 8:42:40 am

Hi Rolf,

I did a test and just deleted the Clip ID, then re-saved and it gave it a different Clip ID number. An option to lock would be great!

As far as the question marks - I have copied from a website (the web version of our DB/Text library) and from TextEdit. Let me know if you're able to test that and if not, I will email you an example.

Thanks for your help,
Whitney

Return to posts index

Dan Roesch
on Nov 21, 2010 at 3:30:23 pm

Sorry to jump in here. When I export to HTML I don't get even a thumbnail. Just the icon for the media type. I too would like a filmstrip export but would settle for now with a poster frame? Could you help me get that configured? Why is there an option to export based on the different filmstrip views if the filmstrips aren't exported?

Thanks,

Dan

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Nov 22, 2010 at 1:13:41 pm

When you use the Export As HTML command, choose "Single page for all selected clips" (the other option is for use with the older tape-based previews, which aren't relevant to most people these days). It will then export an index.html and stylesheet.css file, plus a thumbnails directory containing the poster thumbnails for the selected clips you're exporting. Which columns are displayed is taken from the view you select from the drop down. You can select any view but it ignores the view type (grid, filmstrip etc.) and only uses the columns from that view. Most likely therefore, the view you chose doesn't include the "Poster" column.

Return to posts index

Whitney Sickels
on Jan 13, 2011 at 1:47:41 pm

Hi Rolf,

Any further consideration on making an option to lock the Clip ID field? Would really appreciate it! :)

Best,
Whitney

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]