FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV - creating subclips? I'm confused....

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Johnson-Laird
CatDV - creating subclips? I'm confused....
on Aug 28, 2010 at 3:26:38 am

I'm officially confused.

I'm using CatDV Pro 8.1.5 on a MacBook Pro running OS 10.6.4.

I import a .mov clip and view it with Verbatim logger, inserting subclip markers at relevant points using Control-N or click on the Subclip button.

I then "Save Text" to exit from Verbatim Logger, select the clip(s) and export them as FCP XML.

In FCP, I import the XML. The clips import without any problem (including the Notes field from CatDV), but there are no subclips, just the master clips that I had in CatDV (there are no apparent subclips visible in CatDV either).

The timecodes/names of the subclips are visible in the Description field in FCP, but only for the master clips. Not a subclip to be seen anywhere. :(

I suspect my understanding of the mechanism used by CatDV is fraught, but, shouldn't there be subclips created, or does typing Control-N/click Subclip just create a marker than then has to be converted into a subclip by magic means I don't understand?

EDITED: An important clue. I do NOT see an APPLY button at the lower right hand corner of the Verbatim Logger Window....just "Save Text." I have a faint recall that there is a preference setting that controls this, but I cannot recall (or find) which setting it is. I think this lack of an APPLY button is critical to actually creating subclips, but...

Thanks
Andy

Forensic Software/Internet/Image Analyst
Portland, Oregon

Return to posts index

Andy Johnson-Laird
Re: CatDV - creating subclips? I'm confused....
on Aug 28, 2010 at 4:05:20 am

Sorry...tried to Edit this posting as follows but just missed the 30 minute deadline.

The problem is that the SETTINGs for the Verbatim Logger were set to "Always save as text."

If this setting is chosen, you can never create subclips from within the Verbatim Logger. You have to hit the Apply button to create subclips, not Save Text.

This is what is known in the software business as a "feechur" and it confused me. I thought creating a subclip created a subclip regardless, but, alas, all is not what it appears to be.

The "SUBCLIP" button really means "Create subclip unless you were dumb enough to set the Always Save As Text Feature in which case insert a subclip marker, but don't actually create a subclip, merely lull the End Loser into thinking he's created a subclip."

You may now safely ignore this posting (and my original one, too).

Andy.
(Exits stage left and crawls back into his box.)

Portland, Oregon

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Aug 28, 2010 at 9:10:17 am

The way to think of it is that the subclip button inserts a new subclip marker in your log, the event button inserts a new event marker, and when you come out of the verbatim logger you can either "apply" those changes (create subclips and/or events) or "save the log as text" (perhaps you haven't finished logging the clip yet and plan to come back to it later, or you know you only ever want to create textual transcripts and aren't bothered with subclipping using the verbatim logger).

Return to posts index

Andy Johnson-Laird
on Aug 28, 2010 at 5:25:32 pm

I agree Rolf. That's a good mental model -- the "Apply" button really means "Create" -- at least that's how I started thinking about it.

I'm now officially unconfused (at least about this). :)

Thanks for the rapid response.

Regards
Andy

Portland, Oregon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]