FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import media files first then import metadata through ALE or TSV

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Salvador Garza
Import media files first then import metadata through ALE or TSV
on Oct 29, 2016 at 4:19:03 am

Is it possible to import a number of videos into CatDV Pro and then later attach or augment their metadata through an ALE or TSV? I'm specifically interested in Scene and Take information.

I've tried this a number of different ways with no luck.

Thanks!

Salvador Garza
http://www.salvadorgarza.com

Return to posts index

Salvador Garza
Re: Import media files first then import metadata through ALE or TSV
on Oct 31, 2016 at 3:11:02 pm

I was able to figure this out over the weekend. But boy was it a bumpy ride.

I really like CatDV and appreciate how far it has come, however still find its documentation lacking and its Preferences quite ambiguous. Granted it's typically an integrator that handles the nitty gritty.

Here's what I found in order to successfully attach ALE metadata to an existing clip in the catalog:
- Tape and TC info must match between existing clip and ALE clip info
- The following preference checkboxes must be enabled:
Proxies & Thumbnails > Automatically link media based on tape name
Import > Combine duplicates (same In & Out values)

Salvador Garza

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Oct 31, 2016 at 4:50:27 pm

Nice work, and thanks for posting your findings to the community.

We've not done any Avid workflow stuff in the client in a while. Nice to see the tape name stuff is still live and available.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Salvador Garza
on Oct 31, 2016 at 7:00:08 pm

I'm actually not using this for an Avid workflow, but rather for importing metadata into Premiere.

During production scene and take information is typically entered by location sound recordists (unless it's a MOS shoot of course). In the process of creating dailies and syncing audio to video, this metadata gets passed along to the newly synced clips (within applications like DaVinci Resolve, or Assimilate Scratch). Unfortunately this information is not included in Resolve XML exports. However it is included in ALE exports. Premiere doesn't import ALEs. So this useful metadata (scene/take) gets lost and an assistant editor typically enters it AGAIN during prep. This is prone to user error and very tedious. So until Resolve includes this info its XML exports or Premiere/Prelude implements ALE imports or some other form of metadata import, CatDV Pro has proven to be a very handy metadata translator or bridge of sorts.

Salvador Garza

Return to posts index

Dougal Matthews
on Nov 1, 2016 at 12:44:11 pm

hi Salvador

I'd like to see if we can help you and make this process a little easier are you able to contact me through support@squarebox.com so we can follow up on your workflow and how to make it better / easier with catdv ?

thank you dougal

Improvise Adapt and Overcome

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]