FORUMS: list search recent posts

"XXX.cdv.autosave" file Versus "BackupOfXXX.cdv" ?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lindsay Simpson
"XXX.cdv.autosave" file Versus "BackupOfXXX.cdv" ?
on Apr 5, 2016 at 3:37:47 pm

Hi,

I have been working with two standalone licenses of CatDV Pro 11.0.7. My experience has been mostly positive and the system is serving our needs well.

I am using a Google Drive business account to store my catalog files and proxy videos to allow logging seamlessly between the two standalone licenses.

NOTE: The problem listed below may be solely a Drive issue, but I wanted to share the inquiry here as well.

All of the catalog .cdv files and the automatic backup catalogs created by CatDV live in a single folder on Drive. Just recently I started to receive the Drive messages like the one listed below for various catalogs in our collection. The message has appeared on both standalone platforms.

This message seems to imply a secondary 'autosave' backup file. In my CatDV experience, I was unaware of secondary backup. I did a bit of digging through the current CatDV user manual and did not come up with an 'autosave' file other than the "BackupOf.cdv." This Drive message also indicates that a catalog file has been physically moved, but this is not the case. None of the catalog files, originals or backups, have moved from their location of origin.

Out of an abundance of caution, I selected "undo" in reply to the Google Drive message. This resulted in the creation of a 3rd catalog file using 'autosave.cdv' in the name.

I also poured through the preference options in CatDV to determine if somehow these had been altered resulting in this extra 'autosave.' I thought perhaps the location of the 'back-up' .cdv files could be customized and maybe that had been changed. I came up empty handed on this search as well.

So far this is not an issue that is affecting our main workflow. Rather than waiting for something break so to speak as a result of this behavior, I wanted to reach out here.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Lindsay

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: "XXX.cdv.autosave" file Versus "BackupOfXXX.cdv" ?
on Apr 5, 2016 at 4:30:53 pm

The autosave file is saved automatically in the background while you're working on a catalog (every 10 minutes by default) to reduce the amount of work that is lost if the application (or your computer) crashes for any reason. It is deleted again once you save your catalog normally (ie. you should only have an .autosave file while you have unsaved changed opens in memory).

If you relaunch the application and it finds an .autosave file it will load that and tell you it recovered unsaved changes.

By contrast, the "Backup" file is saved when you save a catalog and contains the previous saved version.

Both of these are controlled by settings in the File System section of Preferences.

Return to posts index

Lindsay Simpson
on Apr 5, 2016 at 7:33:27 pm

Thank you for clarifying the difference between these files types. This was immensely helpful.

I think I have pinpointed the source of this recent change in our system, and it's likely human related.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Lindsay Simpson
on Apr 18, 2016 at 4:50:59 pm

Okay, I'm somewhat embarrassed that this thought only now dawned on me...

Why are these "autosave.cdv" files only now become "visible" in this common Drive storage location?

Again I think this is a Drive syncing issue as I am now experiencing some other inconsistencies. But, if CatDV has been building "autosave.cdv"automatically every X # of minutes since the creation of an individual catalog, I'm a bit baffled as to why I am just now physically coming across these files. And the "autosave.cdv" files are only visible/accessible for those catalogs that have received the Drive warning below.

Shouldn't there be an "autosave.cdv" file for every catalog? Below are all of the current catalogs and any associated "autosave" or 'Backup" files.

Thanks for you time, feedback and patience!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]