I'm starting with small subclips so they are easier.... and these clips are AMA linked in Avid and catalogued, in the same media position, in CatDV.
I've tried creating subclips then dragging the AAF icon to Avid - results in 'wrong format' or PMM_MISMATCH_VIDEO_ENCODING with ECH:CBDataNotAvailable in the source window. Can result in 'Segmentation Fault' crash too.
So trying ALE:
If I export an ALE, and view it in a text editor, the 'Tape' entry is empty (as these are files) and there is no 'Source File' parameter in the ALE.
Importing this ALE to Avid populates 'Tape' with the name of the ALE file and nothing will easily relink.
Amending the CatDV ALE:
If I create the 'Source File' header in the ALE and populate it with the correct name manually from the end of the 'Mediapath' entry then I am able to 'merge with known sources' - provided those clips are in the bin I import the ALE to AND are selected. Which is workable, but clunky.
Interested if anyone has more solid Avid workflows (non-Interplay for the moment). I have forwarded the two ALE's to Square Box with a note.
and further to that, just in case anyone is interested:
Amending the CatDV.ALE to be Avid compliant in File-based AMA workflow...
Having imported lots of AMA clips to one bin in Avid and catalogued seperately in CatDV...
1. Create subclips (mark in with I, mark out with O, make subclip with U)
2. Select all subclips and (right-click) export as ALE
1. Open ALE
2. Do RegEx find of (/Vol.*lip/)(.+\.MXF)
(you may need to amend file path and endings, mine were in the format /Volumes/xxxxxx/Clip/yyyyy.MXF)
Test you are finding the right bit with the 'next'/'previous' buttons
3. Put \2 in the replace box (will replace whole path with just file name)
Then 'Replace All'
4. Change 'Mediapath' heading to 'Source File'
NB avid is very particular about Camel Case and tab seperation
1. Make sure your import settings for 'shot log' are set to merge with known sources and create subclips
2. Make sure AMA bin is open and all clips are selected
3. Drag ALE bin into that bin and it should create subclips that all link up