FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sending Email to User via worker node

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Schmidt
Sending Email to User via worker node
on Nov 5, 2015 at 10:56:59 pm

Hello again! I was curious about sending files using a trigger in the worker node. Here is the scenario: A user signs into the webclient and looks at the catalog with proxy files he has access to. Lets say he wants a high res presentation file (different from the original file however), and clicks on a trigger in the webclient that says "Request Presentation file". Then he gets the video file via an email link.

I know how to create the user field and grouping options, however the problem runs into the email delivery. How do I limit it so that only that individual will get the video presentation file (instead of a whole group)?

If this can't be done, is there a way to be notified when someone wants a presentation file (where it shows the email of that individual)?

Let me know what your thoughts are! Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Sending Email to User via worker node
on Nov 6, 2015 at 4:15:11 pm

Alex, this is coming in a newer version of CatDV. Contact Squarebox for more info on that. I believe they can even set it up for you as a professional service.

You can add an email address to a metadata field and have the Worker Node pull that with a simple mailto shell script. We have done that for notifications in CatDV for file automations and FTP etc and keep that little script around for just these types of operations. The Worker Node itself used to not be able to pull a user field as a variable. (I'm not sure if it can in the new versions, I'll ask my staff or perhaps SBS can pitch in on that part.) You could also test that too. (I forget how easy it is to test in CatDV sometimes, another awesome thing about it.)

A few notes for you on security, since we built this workflow a few years ago and have seen almost all of the things that can happen with it. Use strong passwords, lock down your routers and other ports on your server, set up https, if you can and perhaps check out the article on the Squarebox (SBS) web site about setting up a separate Apache server instead of using the internal Tomcat one.

These are all suggestions that you likely have covered but I include them on the forum as general info for more video-centric shops that may not do as much web admin.

Also, I'd be remiss (and crazy) to not mention that this is a key feature of Akomi, NSA's flagship product. We store the user's email in the account info and that makes it easier. You can share an asset or playlist without a login (for less secure items), or protected by password, a set number of days (expire in 2 days) or a set number of plays (expire after 3 plays). As much or little security as you like.

Keep us posted as to your progress, it's great to see people enabling cool workflows in CatDV.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Alex Schmidt
on Nov 6, 2015 at 8:42:52 pm

Thank you for your response!

We are going to be in contact with SBS about this (We have CATDV Pro 11.1.1 and the updated worker node).

If you don't mind providing some more information as to how it is set up on your worker node for delivery? We created a metadata field for people to input their email address however we are stuck on finding the right command and location for obtaining that metadata field and delivering that link/file to the users email via workernode.

Regardless, we have been "enjoying" our trial and error methods of CatDV and we continue to get very useful help from the community and SBS! Thank you!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Nov 7, 2015 at 2:48:34 am

Alex, you are welcome.

This is a fairly complex workflow. I'll make you a deal, I'll write this post and if you don't understand the terms in here, please contact a CatDV reseller or Squarebox to set this up for you. In good news, if you understand this post, then you are probably going to be able to work it out. I'd just hate for you to waste your time on this like I'm about to do. ;)

I am assuming that you understand the system admin side of having an ftp site open with your hires files on it. Also, I'm assuming that those files are in place on the ftp. If not and you need to move those files, if you can follow this basic overview of things then moving them and creating the paths using variables will be easy. Again, if not, abandon the project and just get some help, unless your job is CatDV Worker Node programming. (If it is, please contact us, we are hiring.)

My reference to a "simple mailto shell script" was probably misunderstood. Let me clear that this action, the way we did it, requires basic but solid, shell scripting skills. If you are not familiar with writing and deploying shell scripts then this would be difficult to accomplish. (This is on Linux or OS X, I guess the Windows version would be batch or powershell scripts? Programming is not my department.) We have since moved on and have a python app that sends email for us now.

The original way we did this, back in the old days was to write a shell script that the Worker Node would execute. (Using the "execute command" fields in Worker Node.) We would pass the user field value containing the email address ${U23} for example (if the email address was in field USER23 in CatDV) to the script as an argument and the script would send the email, not the Worker Node itself.

The newer version of the Worker Node allows you to use a variable in the email address field so you could put the email address in by entering ${U23} or whatever field value you wanted into that field in "Post Processing."

However, as there often is, there is another wrinkle. I'm not sure how you want to write the link. There are ways but I can't explain here. Basically if you're using FTP and have a fixed path, you can use variables to create the path i.e. something like ftp://myserver.com/$Q/$q/$f. Note that this is very insecure to host the files on an FTP share permanently so I would recommend moving the files upon request.

But, if you're entering the link into a user field, then you could do this, this way.

For the sake of this example, I'll say USER23 is the email address and USER24 is the link.

In the Post Processing Pane of Worker Node put this in.

To: field enter ${U23}

Subject: Anything you want to send...

Body: Hi, this is Alex's CatDV rig. The file you want can be downloaded at - ${U24}

If USER field 23 contains - email@user-field-23.com

And USER field 24 contains - ftp://server-alex.com/path/to/file.mov

That will look like this when expanded:

To: email@user-field-23.com

Subject: Anything you want to send...

Body: Hi, this is Alex's CatDV rig. The file you want can be downloaded at - ftp://server-alex.com/path/to/file.mov

That's all I got. I have no idea why I typed this much lol. I hope it helps.

If anyone wants this sort of workflow set up, it's what we and Squarebox do for a living all day long. Now you know why my beard is so grey.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Alex Schmidt
on Nov 9, 2015 at 4:08:56 pm

Thank you for taking the time with your response Bryson!

Now, given I am sure you are exhausted with my question (I am likely to try this proposed procedure pending the answer to my next questions) I am going to create a different forum asking/clarifying about having a ftp setup; is this required for sharing?

Thank you for your time! I really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]