FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you retrieve a deleted catalog??

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Whitney Sickels
Can you retrieve a deleted catalog??
on Aug 17, 2010 at 9:50:08 am

Help! Someone deleted an entire catalog yesterday by accident. We did not notice until 2 hours later, so since then we had saved numerous times. Is there any way to retrieve it??

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Can you retrieve a deleted catalog??
on Aug 17, 2010 at 3:30:44 pm

Are you using the Server, or Standalone?

If you're in Server, you have a Recycle Bin that holds all the clips from that catalog.

If you're standalone, I'm afraid a backup is your only recourse.

For folks working on standalone catalogs I tend to try to get them to either run a backup of their catalogs several times a day, or to keep a copy of the original catalog in a safe place before they release it to users.

Also, if you have untrained or careless users, (the technical term for that is "Producer") you might consider only giving them read access to the catalog folder on the server if they are only viewing clips.

Can you let us know which version you are on?

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Aug 17, 2010 at 9:55:18 pm

I know this won't help after the fact, but....

We've been working on defining workflows that cut down on errors such as this. As such, when a "producer" creates a log, it is passed on to our Media Tech, who publishes the catalog who sends an email to the producer, who in turn checks the published catalog and adds his name to the "Catalog Details" to validate that it is correct.

This sounds a lot more involved than it really is and only takes a quick moment, but insures that the catalog is in place. As an additional redundancy, the catalog is also stored with the raw media and follows it all the way from near-line usage to off-line storage.

This is assuming, of course, that you are using a server product.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Whitney Sickels
on Aug 18, 2010 at 8:18:11 am

Thank you for your reply. And yes, we are running off server. The version we are using is 8.1.4

When I browse the database, the recycle bin does not allow me to open it, as it is not higlighted. Here is a screenshot:

1001_picture2.png.zip

Any ideas why I can't open it? I have Group Admin allowances.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
on Aug 18, 2010 at 8:11:31 pm

Hi Whitney..

You need to be the SUPER USER.. ie ADMINISTRATOR. with priviliges to all areas . GROUP ADMIN ...just don`t cut it with the recycle bin.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Whitney Sickels
on Aug 23, 2010 at 3:24:00 pm

Finally was able to log in Super Admin - retrieved all clips from recycle bin. Whew!!! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Romain Kedochim
on Sep 22, 2010 at 5:55:22 pm

Hi guys,

Quick question: how do you recover something from the RECYCLE BIN catalog if you have over 50,000 clips in there? My catDV just isn't happy opening it. And it seems that I can't search a single catalog (the bin) for the clip i'm looking for, and therefore limit the amount of entries in the result of the query.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 22, 2010 at 6:55:15 pm

Maybe try a filtered view of the recycle bin from the Tree? That way you could limit the results and get it to open a view.

Double clicking from the "browse database" will just lock you up but the Tree might get you there.

Also, you can give the app some more ram in the prefs to help a bit as well.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Romain Kedochim
on Sep 22, 2010 at 7:12:27 pm

How can you filter a view if you do not load the whole catalog first?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]