FORUMS: list search recent posts

video clips searchable on-line with CatDV??

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ in Atlanta
video clips searchable on-line with CatDV??
on May 15, 2015 at 5:48:46 pm

Hello -
Longtime CatDV user (currently at ver10)... and my company has a large stock footage collection that I catalog and maintain.

We have a new website and I'm curious what CatDV products and hardware are necessary to make our collection searchable by website visitors.
I'm generally pretty technically adept, but the networking end of things puzzles me..

Many thanx
Russj

Return to posts index

John Vaudin
Re: video clips searchable on-line with CatDV??
on May 15, 2015 at 9:50:34 pm

It's not clear from your question whether you currently have CatDV Server? If you do then you just need a web license and you can make your catalogs accessible using the built-in web server and the new Web 2 interface (you need Server 6.10 for that). Alternatively if you want tighter integration into your existing web site then there is sample code provided to show how to create bespoke web pages that query the CatDV database and display the results in whatever form you like. Obviously that requires some web development skills, but it's quite straightforward.

You probably want to think carefully about connecting your main CatDV Server to the public Internet though. We recommend at least using a separate web server in a DMZ or ideally a completely separate read-only public CatDV Server instance, which only stores the proxies, so ensuring you valuable master media remain safe behind a firewall.

Return to posts index

Russ in Atlanta
on May 18, 2015 at 1:25:12 pm

John -

Nope.. I knew I would need at least that.. so if you could list what I need, then I can start doing my homework. Amazon Cloud or similar for my proxies??

thanx
Russj

Return to posts index

John Vaudin
on May 18, 2015 at 3:49:13 pm

I'm afraid I'm not really clear what your question is. Do you have CatDV Server? Have you tried using any of the web interfaces?

In terms of proxies on AWS, you can serve your proxies from the cloud, but they need to served with a consistent path structure, so you can't store individual proxy files as S3 objects. You need a web server essentially, that can publish all your proxies in a folder hierarchy that matches you media store. You then set the Alternative URL field in the server path mapping for your proxies, to point to the root of the proxy web server.

Return to posts index

Russ in Atlanta
on May 18, 2015 at 5:23:48 pm

John -

All I have is CatDV Pro... no server hardware or software..

Thanx!!
Russ

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 18, 2015 at 9:17:08 pm

Russ, contact your reseller or JB&A.

The basics are this:

You need a version of CatDV Server and some web clients.

Then you can choose your hosting for that server. In-House, Cloud, whatever. You can also move the proxy into a cloud service if you like.

Your reseller or JB&A can direct you to some sample hardware and networking configs.

Perhaps you might even want to look at Akomi? (blatant plug warning)

Here is a bit of a topology overview of that and you can find other articles there about our servers etc.

http://kb.northshoreautomation.com/akomi-portal/akomi-admin-guide-1/akomi-r...

CatDV Server is so flexible you can do all sorts of things with it.

Here's one of their articles for instance on putting CatDV in a DMZ.

http://www.squarebox.com/secure-web-deployment/

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]