FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV Workgroup Server-limitations?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
neal swisher
CatDV Workgroup Server-limitations?
on May 12, 2015 at 9:53:38 pm

Hello all--

I am investigating CatDV workgroup edition, rather than purchasing the full Enterprise Server. I do not need the Web server feature or different users/roles. So far, the biggest limitations for Workgroup I am finding is the lack of server-side preferences for picklists and user-defined metadata. Also, the server does not store smart folders.

It seems like many of these issues can be solved by copying the preference file on one machine and transferring it to another machine. For some reason, the "Import/Export Preferences" option is not available with the Workgroup client (probably because they reserve this feature for Enterprise).

I'm curious--are there people out there that use Workgroup and find it adequate? We are a small production house with 2 edit workstations. We really just need to create catalogs with custom fields, tag them, and be able to access them on either machine.

thanks
neal

Return to posts index

Dougal Matthews
Re: CatDV Workgroup Server-limitations?
on May 18, 2015 at 8:59:54 am

hi Neal

the import export preferences should be available on the work-group client under the tools menu ry turning on advances menus in the general tab of the preferences

thanks dougal

Improvise Adapt and Overcome

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 19, 2015 at 11:19:41 pm

The main difference for someone looking to do what you're doing is that there are no real permissions and no way to manage access to users or the settings that users use. Each user in WG can edit their own settings as they want and can access all data.

For small, trusted groups, this can be fine.

Beyond that, know that a lot of the major media management features (MXF, RED and other exotic media handling etc.) are absent, but for a lot of shops that's not a big deal.

If you need to catalog, tag and keep proxy of assets, WG is a great start and you can always upgrade which is nice.

My first rule of asset management is start today and just do what you can for now. The pile only gets deeper. ;)

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Sep 1, 2015 at 2:57:54 pm

What's the big advantage of workgroup server vs. just sharing catalogs using the standalone catdv pro app?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 1, 2015 at 4:52:02 pm

Too many to name but the main one is that you can work, logging, ingesting or tagging in the same catalog with someone else at the same time.

You can also search across all catalogs. Catalogs are great, except they are really just "folders" all over again. Searching on metadata across large data sets are when DAM's become powerful.

If you only need to browse, just stay with your standalone. You might not even need a DAM at all.

(Heresy!!!!)

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]