FORUMS: list search recent posts

Path variables

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
Path variables
on May 8, 2015 at 4:44:05 pm

I'm trying to use source file path variables to define a move destination for a Worker command.

If my source is say /Volumes/XSAN1/Transfer/Cam1/..../file1.mov

I want to move this file to /Volumes/XSAN1/Transfer/Archive_Deletes

I need "XSAN1" and "Transfer" as variables so this will work on other Xsan volumes.

Based on the Help Variable page it would seem that:
$w/Archive_Deletes or /Volumes/$R/$Q/Archive_Deletes would work but they do not.

All these variables that represent various depths to the file could be replaced by variables that simply parse each directory much like $1 -$9 does for filenames.

Is there a way to do this with the available variables?

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

John Heagy
Re: Path variables
on May 15, 2015 at 4:49:47 pm

I don't see any way to express a Xsan volume name as a variable. Am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Dougal Matthews
on May 18, 2015 at 8:56:41 am

hi John

there isn't a direct way to do this as Catdv doesn't store the names of your network systems

however you could always create a user field called for instance "XSAN" say user 101 you could then use the variable ${U101} to read back the value of the Xsan field from a record and use this to set the Xsan part of your file path.

using user variables its possible to build up quite complex pathing and workflows

i hope this helps you achieve your goals

thanks dougal

Improvise Adapt and Overcome

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on May 18, 2015 at 8:25:00 pm

I'm trying to make a folder at the same depth for every Xsan volume and not have the user specify which volume. $i includes the full path all the way down to / including the volume name. The other path variables fall short. This limits any script based file commands using path variables to the same directory as the source file. If it's complete in $i why omit it in the other variables?

We will solve it by calling a fully baked script but it seems like an odd omission if one wants to do things in other directories.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 18, 2015 at 9:08:04 pm

Hey John,

I've been off this board since NAB, lordy.

I've wondered about this for a long time. Most any level of a path is available using a regex so that's how most folks who need it do it.

I think the main thing preventing this being a fixed variable is that Worker is cross platform and depending on the OS, the output would be very unpredictable. (OS X, vs. Drive Letters, vs. UNC paths) hence the decision to "count up" from the filename.

You are right to take this out to a separate script.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]