FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unable to add a new Field Definition in Pick Lists

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duane Zehr
Unable to add a new Field Definition in Pick Lists
on Mar 23, 2015 at 3:23:19 pm

In earlier versions of CatDV, we were able to enter a new Field Definition right in the Pick List in the Log mode, but in the newer versions it no longer works. Does anyone have a workaround for this issue?

Currently, the only way to add a Field Definition involves going to Preferences and clicking a total of 12 things to be able to enter the new definition, like this:

Preferences > Field Definitions > Pick Lists > Column (Make selection) > Edit > + > Enter New Value > OK > Save Local/To Server > Save to Server

Previously, we just had to enter the new Field Definition right in the Pick List.

We've asked this question through our paid annual support and have received no resolution.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Unable to add a new Field Definition in Pick Lists
on Mar 23, 2015 at 10:38:56 pm

Duane, it does seem to have changed in the new version of Server. (I'm on 6.10.0)

I hadn't thought about it but it is different from back in Version 10.

Let's see what the dev crew says but know that there are tons of changes being done on the db these days to make it better, faster and stronger.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Duane Zehr
on Mar 24, 2015 at 1:38:23 pm

Thanks Bryson. Better, faster and stronger is good, but fixing what's broken should be the priority. Without this feature, the app is so cumbersome to use for tagging assets requiring new field definitions that it's essentially unusable, and we've gotten no resolution for the problem.

While they're doing fixes, it'd also be nice if someone could get rid of the myriad of phantom dialog boxes with "OK" in them, that pop up during processes, as if you need to address them, only to then go away on their own. Hopefully some of these issues will be addressed soon.

Return to posts index

Dougal Matthews
on May 26, 2015 at 11:37:15 am

hi Duane

i can confirm that the pick lists add issue has been resolved in the latest version of catdv 11.0.6 which will be available to download form our website here http://www.squarebox.com/download-links/ in the next few days

meanwhile here are direct download links

http://www.squarebox.com/download/CatDVPro11.0.6.dmg
http://www.squarebox.com/download/CatDVPro11.0.6.exe
http://www.squarebox.com/download/CatDVPegasus11.0.6.dmg
http://www.squarebox.com/download/CatDVPegasus11.0.6.exe

thank you Dougal

Improvise Adapt and Overcome

Return to posts index

Duane Zehr
on May 26, 2015 at 1:14:32 pm

Thanks Dougal. I'll give it a try!

Duane Zehr
Office of University Marketing and Publications
Bradley University

Return to posts index

Duane Zehr
on May 26, 2015 at 1:46:59 pm

Sorry to say that new version didn't fix the problem. You still can't add a name to a picklist and have it populate to the list. It's only saved locally, not to the server.

The only way to add to the list remains the incredibly cumbersome method of going to Preferences > Field Definitions > Pick Lists... and then a bunch of steps and dialog boxes after that.

Duane Zehr
Bradley University

Return to posts index

Duane Zehr
on Jun 1, 2015 at 2:01:59 pm

Dougal,

Any info on whether this issue is still being worked on, as 11.0.6 didn't solve the problem. Also, with this version, I'm required to hit accept on a license agreement dialog box every time I launch the app. It'd be nice if someone can fix that issue also.

Duane Zehr
Bradley University

Return to posts index

Dougal Matthews
on Jun 3, 2015 at 2:50:15 pm

hi Duane

I've flagged this with the developers and they are aware of the issue it is being addressed but i believe we need both server and client changes to resolve so it isn't going to be a quick fix

server side will come with Server 7 and the client with a subsequent client update but i'm afraid i cant give timescales at this point

thank you

dougal

Improvise Adapt and Overcome

Return to posts index

Duane Zehr
on Jun 3, 2015 at 3:07:48 pm

Thanks for the update. Hopefully this can eventually be resolved -- it makes the app cumbersome to the point of uselessness when additions need to be made to pick lists.

Duane Zehr
Bradley University

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jun 12, 2015 at 8:27:22 am

There may be some confusion over how the feature is intended to work. If you configure a pick list field to be Extensible that means you can type in new values which aren't in the list, and they stay in the list while that window is open, but they aren't remembered. If you tick the Remember Values option then they are added to the list in your preferences, but they're only actually remembered if you save your preferences. Preferences are automatically saved locally but they are only saved to the server (as production group settings) if you go into the Preferences dialog and click the Save To Server button (or right click on a production group in the tree and save settings there). Normally only an administrator would have the ability to save production group settings to the server. Values you add to a pick lists won't automatically be saved to the field definitions on the server unless you either go into the pick list values dialog and click the '+' button or save production group settings to the server.

There is a shortcut you can use to make this easier however. Rather than having to go into Preferences and navigate to the pick list values section of prefs, if you double click on the label of any field in your details tab panels (ie. on the field name followed by a colon) this will open up a chooser or inspector for that field. In the case of pick lists there is an Edit Values button that will take you straight to the right place in just two clicks.

When you say the behaviour has changed, you might be thinking of the "Auto-populate from server" option for pick lists that you can set on the Server tab of Preferences. This scans the values actually used for clips saved to the database and makes them available in the drop down but it's unwieldy and inflexible and can be very slow on large installations, so it's not recommended for most people and now defaults to being off.

Return to posts index

Duane Zehr
on Jun 12, 2015 at 7:08:35 pm

Our issue with this was actually resolved, now that we're able to tick the "Extensible" and "Remember Values" option. In the past, there had been a problem if those were ticked, but that's not an issue anymore, apparently. Now I can add values in the log field directly. Once I've published to the server, other users then also see those values available in the pick list.

Duane Zehr
Bradley University

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]