FORUMS: list search recent posts

Last entry only viewable in catalog

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
Last entry only viewable in catalog
on Dec 23, 2014 at 8:48:47 pm

I would like to keep a ticker tape like record of events in a custom field. The data would look like this in a details panel field.

entry1
entry2
entry3

I would like to see the last entry in the catalog only but instead it is formatted as:

entry1 entry2 entry3 with all but the first entries visible.

Is there a way to enter the data so I only see "entry 3" in the catalog column?

John

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Last entry only viewable in catalog
on Dec 29, 2014 at 7:27:26 pm

John, are you doing this with a Worker Action?

and I'm assuming that you mean the columns in the "main" window when you say "catalog column."

If so, you can do this.

We often keep our logs in reverse order so the last entry is at the top and thus shows easily in fields.

Using variables, you can add the new data to the front of the record. Write the new value and then add the original data that was in the field after that using the variables.

Ex. $D${U1}

Would add the date to the front of the original value of USER1.

That should leave you with the format you want. All other formatting rules apply as noted in the Worker "help" screens.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Dec 30, 2014 at 2:48:55 pm

Hi Bryson,

Thanks for the tip. We would probably be populating the log data via the API or directly mimicking what the API does. This would be a running log of each step's success for a Front Porch archive. If possible we plan to keep Worker out of the process.

John

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Dec 30, 2014 at 3:43:11 pm

Oh, then it's even easier. As you write your connector, just have it collect the value from the field and then push the new changes as I mentioned. It seems strange but this is very common in DAM APIs we've found) That's the beauty of custom work with the API, you can feed it as you like.

Keep us posted on the Front Porch project, that's great that you're adding a new archive system to the mix.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]