FORUMS: list search recent posts

Failed Proxy renders with v3 of Calbrated MXF Import

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robb Harriss
Failed Proxy renders with v3 of Calbrated MXF Import
on Dec 23, 2014 at 4:23:00 am

This is new. I upgraded to the new version 3 of Calibrated {Q} MXF Import to go along with CatDV Pro with the MXF option. Now I can't render a proxy longer than 3 minutes. I setup and rendered a huge pile of files over the weekend and all but 4 were unusable. Almost all had full audio under a freeze frame of video. A tiny handful rendered but these were all around 2 minutes in length. Further testing all day today determined that I could get a render, but never longer than 3 minutes. Most now have a flash frame of white at about 3 minutes in and then a freeze frame of video for the balance of the file. Anyone else have this? I'm running OSX 10.9.5 and CatDV Pro 10.1.3 (I dropped back to 10.1.2 as a test and it's the same). Video is transcodes of Avid files that were captured from tape and compressed to NTSC 30i 20:1 for offline. It's been working for a year and a half so I can only assume it's Calibrated. A note has gone off to their tech support.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Dougal Matthews
Re: Failed Proxy renders with v3 of Calbrated MXF Import
on Dec 23, 2014 at 11:41:26 am

Hi Rob

Does this only happen while rendering in CatDV or do you have issues rendering any output using calibrated over 2-3 mins in any software

as a test you could try doing an export in QuickTime to see if you can render longer than 2-3 mins output ?

if this fails in QuickTime too it suggests its a codec issue and you'd need to contact calibrated

if the problem ONLY manifests in CatDV please could you raise a ticket buy emailing support@squarebox.com with a description of the problem and log files ( please restart catdv encode a proxy and send the log files along with screenshots of any errors )

thank you dougal

Improvise Adapt and Overcome

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Dec 23, 2014 at 1:02:12 pm

thanks for the note, Dougal. I use Calibrated only for CatDV, so I have to figure out how to use it with anything else. First attempts show that I can't open MXF files directly in Quicktime. But then when I use Pro Player (from Digital Heaven) I can play a file (without sound) and low and behold, it stops three minutes in. Hmmm. I'm going to try importing into iMovie X and see what happens.

Return to posts index

Dougal Matthews
on Dec 23, 2014 at 2:26:45 pm

hi robb

this sounds like it may be an issue with the calibrated codecs have you reported it to their support - they are usually very responsive

see below for contact details cheers dougal

from their website

For Current Customer support requests, please email:

support@calibratedsoftware.com

This is for Current Customers only - please include your Order Number in the subject line of the email.

Improvise Adapt and Overcome

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Dec 23, 2014 at 2:34:02 pm

Oh, I was onto them first thing. I've now gotten some responses. So far it looks like a problem at their end. Trying to track it down. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Jan 2, 2015 at 7:33:19 pm

UPDATE:
Got it figured out. It had to do with the way Calibrated dealt with variable bit rate files. My low rez versions were done in SD 20:1 or ProRes Proxy. Something odd about the indexing when using VBR formats. The folks at Calibrated got right on it and sent a patch that fixed it. Since then I've render a couple thousand new proxies, all without issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]