FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create Filter to Locate Clips W/O Proxies Built

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lindsay Simpson
Create Filter to Locate Clips W/O Proxies Built
on Nov 12, 2014 at 11:51:51 pm

Hi,

Has anyone created a filter to sort out clips in a catalog that do not have a proxy built or associated with them? The built-in field "Proxy File" can be located on the default "Other" panel, but this field is not searchable if blank which are the clips I want to be able to identify.

I considered creating a custom Proxy field as checkbox or some sort of yes/no situation, but can this be populated automatically when a proxy file is recognized? Or would the only option be to populate that custom field manually?

Any suggestions on how to filter out clips based on a proxy yes/no parameter?

Running CatDV 11 Professional on a Mac OS X 10.9.4 platform.

Thanks,

Lindsay

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Create Filter to Locate Clips W/O Proxies Built
on Nov 13, 2014 at 3:28:09 am

are you just trying to ID which clips need the proxies rendered?

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Nov 13, 2014 at 4:54:17 pm

May I ask, are you using a Worker Node action to make proxy or the CatDV Pro client?

If you're using the client, really the only way to filter is to view the Proxy File Name and sort by that in a view.

Be careful, however, the client can only display that field if the proxy share/folder/location is mounted. This is not stored in the db, so this field's status is conditional, depending on the mount of the proxy location.

The reason for this is that if you spent a year making proxy in your office and then left the office without that proxy drive, just as an example, your proxy would be "offline". There's no way for CatDV Pro to know if that proxy is somewhere waiting to be mounted, of if for instance the drive was erased and you actually need to re-make all those proxy files.

If you have an automated system, in a stable environment, then you can create and flag a "proxy status" field and know that the computer will always set it. This can be done manually, but it can be hard to remember to do reliably.

Hope this helps.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Nov 13, 2014 at 7:32:04 pm
Last Edited By bryson jones on Nov 13, 2014 at 7:36:53 pm

I added an image for reference and posted this in a better, more complete form as an article to our FAQ. Maybe read this instead as it's a little more clear.

Warning, the FAQ is new and is constantly being edited and added to over the next few months.

http://kb.northshoreautomation.com/catdv-portal/nsa-catdv-faq#TOC-Can-I-sea...

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Lindsay Simpson
on Nov 13, 2014 at 8:47:18 pm

Thanks to you both for the input!

I have come up with a completely different solution in the end.

I wanted to create the search filters because I have experienced several proxy build failures when large selections of clips are left to build overnight.

I am using a standalone version of CatDV, no Workgroup or Enterprise client.

I decided to run a test and build proxies using Adobe Media Encoder and then link the proxy path back in CatDV. This worked without a hitch as AME seems to be a more robust encoder.

So alas, the need for a proxy 'filter' has become obsolete.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Nov 13, 2014 at 10:16:56 pm

Glad you got a solution.

In the end, CatDV Pro uses the Quicktime libraries to create proxy, it's not a dedicated transcoding app of course. We use outside encoders all the time and everything is fine, if you just put the files in the correct locations.

One note, when you say "link the proxy back" I had a question.

If you put the proxy into the correct folder in your proxy path, you shouldn't need to "link" it, it should show up. Be careful that you're not changing the paths in CatDV when you link the proxy. Are you having to "show" CatDV where the proxy is and is so, what command are you using to do that?

There's a bit on the SBS site about proxy paths, if you do a search.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Lindsay Simpson
on Nov 15, 2014 at 12:19:26 am

Hi Bryson,

Thank you for your feedback and helpful input.

I believe the only reason I have had to point the path, or show CatDV, to link the proxies is due to my initial proxy mapping. I think I made it too specific. Though I have not had any difficulty adding a new path, I understand having too many paths can eventually result in trouble too.

I'm going to try removing the current, deep paths and back up the primary path a few folders in the file structure. As you suggest, I think that will lead to CatDV automatically acknowledging the proxies when a catalog is opened and new proxies are available for reference in the default, main proxy location.

I will take a look at the SBS site you reference. I appreciate you providing these additional resources.

Have a lovely weekend,

Lindsay

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]