FORUMS: list search recent posts

Failed to play movie error(-43)

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Gilmour
Failed to play movie error(-43)
on Oct 1, 2014 at 10:02:45 pm

I have a Mac (OS X 10.9.5) that has been working on a CATDV database referencing footage on a Windows 7 based Terrablock SAN. Everything seems to be working fine from the Mac's point of view. When I open that same file on a Windows 7 client, also connected to the Terrablock, I get the error "Failed to play movie error(-43)" when I try to play a movie. The odd part is I can "reveal in explorer" and it goes right to the folder where the file is located, but CatDV refuses to play it.

I did find this link from 2009 explaining the issue: http://www.squarebox.com/legacy/faq155.html

It says folder and file names can't be longer than 8 characters long or I need to run QT 7.3.1! I understand that may have been acceptable in 2009, but I have 48TB of assets and renaming thousands of folders/files isn't an option.

I am only using CatDV Pro 10.1.1 and CatDV 11.0.0 (no server/worker/etc) with QT 7.7.4 and the latest JAVA as of 9/30/2014

We are slowly transition to Windows, away from Apple, so any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Failed to play movie error(-43)
on Oct 1, 2014 at 10:09:18 pm

When you reveal it in Explorer, does it play in the Quicktime player or another app?

I'd recommend you try changing your CatDV Media Playback settings to use Xuggle or JMF as a test. (You may need to do additional installs to use these but they are documented on the Squarebox site.

CatDV 11 will likely solve this issue with the new player.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Oct 1, 2014 at 10:30:22 pm

Yes, when I reveal in explorer, QT, VLC, PPRO, AE, all play that file with no problem.

Unsurprisingly Xuggle, JMF, Direct Show all that same results, probably because I don't have them installed.

Another oddity is that CatDV 11 64bit won't open because it says JAVA is not installed, but I am running the latest version. However CatDV 11 32bit runs, and still gives me the same Failed to show media(-43) error.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Oct 1, 2014 at 10:55:18 pm

You have to go 64 bit Java, there's no "shake down" to 32bit for 11.

However, your old CatDV Pro versions should work fine under the 64 bit Java.

Backup your system before you do any of this. (I know that's harder under Windows, but maybe you have a test system?)

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Dave Clack
on Oct 9, 2014 at 11:46:44 am

Hi, we're working on full CatDV 11 installers that include the Java environment, ie don't need a separate Java download and install. These are already available for mac, and are coming soon for Windows.

Dave

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Nov 18, 2014 at 3:11:56 am

Sorry for the delay, but this has been a month in the making. Long story short, to rule out any issues that may have built up/corrupted my system (we all know how Windows is...) I am now working off a backup hard drive that was cloned from the day I got my computer Promax, so there shouldn't be any issues with the OS becoming corrupt or a virus etc.

I did the "custom legacy install" of QT 7.6.6 and manually installed the 64bit version of Java and now the 64bit version of CatDV is working. 1 problem solved!

However CatDV is now refusing to play MOST files, it doesn't seem to play any prores files over 60 seconds or so, but curiously, it does play some files, it does seem to like playing h.264 quicktimes. When I click on a file it usually stalls for 10 seconds, then gives this error message about the "native helper" failing: 8200_capture.jpg.zip

Any ideas what the "native helper" is and how to fix it?

Also, as of 11-17-2014 I am on the most current version of JAVA and CatDV

Thanks for all the help so far!

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Nov 18, 2014 at 4:53:54 pm

After further testing it seems my problem is stemming from the Mac to Windows jump.

I can make a catalogue on our windows system and playback any movie type in CatDV, but if I make a catalogue on a Mac and open it in Windows, most of the files "fail to open"

Our computer doing all the cataloguing is a Mac, but we are moving our edit workstations over to Windows.

Is this an issue with CatDV? The file paths are correct, I can show the file, and even open it in QT no problem on either OS.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Nov 18, 2014 at 8:11:06 pm

Hey there,

Just a question, are you playing these files over a network connection or locally?

I'd test and see if the files behave differently over the network vs. locally and also if non-QT files play better. (.mp4 etc.)

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Nov 18, 2014 at 8:41:33 pm

Good point! You got me thinking, and I think I figured WHY it's not working, but now I can't figure out how to fix it... To answer your question, we are using a Facilis Terrablock, directly attached via fibre.

Here's the reason why I think things are goofing up... Windows assigns a letter to each drive unlike mac, which results in different file paths when you save something via mac or windows. CatDV is smart enough to figure that out, BUT Premiere Pro is not. As a result Facilis has the option to "trick" windows into mounting drives in a "volumes" folder on the C:\ drive which then results in the same file paths as Mac. However this "trick" is what appears to be halting CatDV. When I re-mount my drives the normal way (with drive letters), everything seems to be working fine with CatDV, except now my PPro project assets are all offline.

So now I'm in a catch 22. I have to mount my volumes inside my C:\ drive for PPro, but CatDV needs me to mount my volumes directly... Anybody else experience this? Restructuring my workflow and server isn't really an option at this point. I might try raising this question over on the Facilis forum too.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Nov 18, 2014 at 10:39:16 pm

That's the thing.

One note, always use UNC paths to map into CatDV.

Try mapping the file equivalencies using the UNC path.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Nov 18, 2014 at 11:41:31 pm

Thank you so much for your help so far! Unfortunately this type of stuff is where I start to fall a bit short, please bare with me, I am extremely thankful for your assistance.

I see where I would map the equivalencies in CatDV, but I'm unsure how I can map paths as UNC since my Windows volumes are attached with Fibre and the only way of connecting to them is through the Facilis Client software which only provides the options of direct connecting (with drive letters) or connecting via a volumes folder on the C:\ drive which is as close to UNC file paths as I think I can get.

I tried making an equivalency like this but it didn't seem to do anything:
/volumes/volume1 ⇒ C:\Volumes\volume1

Also note I am not using CatDV Server, only multiple licenses of CatDV Pro, and I am not using proxies only full-res media.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Nov 19, 2014 at 3:12:20 pm

So messing around with this a little bit more I'm starting to realize it may be a weird software issue with either CatDV or Facilis, or both perhaps. This is indeed the case with every version of CatDV (32bit and 64bit), and mounting drives through the C:\ drive wasn't an option for Facilis Terrablock owners before v6 came out in July 2014.

I've put inquiries into both companies to see if they have experienced this behavior. I'll report back my findings.

If anyone else is running into this I'd love to hear about any workarounds or just let me know I'm not the only person on the planet having this issue.

Thanks again for the help so far!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]