FORUMS: list search recent posts

Occasional Autosave Failed message

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Moreau
Occasional Autosave Failed message
on Aug 9, 2010 at 1:20:16 am

I'm evaluating CatDV, it's quite wonderful and powerful.

After importing about 4000 clips to a catalog, every once in a while I'm getting an error modal dialog box:

Autosave failed (java.io. FileNotFoundException: /Users/kmoreau/untitled1281315157945.cv.autosave(OPeration not permitted))

Any clues about what it is and how to keep it from happening? Thanks much!

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
Re: Occasional Autosave Failed message
on Aug 9, 2010 at 7:10:12 am

Hi Keith

You say you are evaluating the software , if it is the demo from our site..( http://www.squarebox.co.uk ) , then this is save disabled, which may lead to your error. Also have a read in this forum about the optimum number of clips in a catalog. In the standalone version a catalog is a container or folder for the clips in the conventional manner. What is really happening is that the .cdv file contains thumbnails for the clips, metadata and importantly the file-paths to the actual clips themselves. Not the media. It follows then that specifically on the server version that a "catalog" is not actually required as you can query the server to find clips that match based on the actual metadata . These queries can be save, so called "smart folders" . These create a "view" inside Catdv that can be filtered further. As this happens in RAM it is very very quick. So query to bring back all the "project" and then filter on further metadata using groupings or the automatic filters . Un-filter to go back the total selection. You just need to play to get the feel for this. In the standalone world you may need to make smaller catalogs. This points out the need to classify your data in some way . Within this forum we have discussed these issues so have a browse of previous topics. Asset management is a very broad topic :-) ...

Kevin Duggan
Catdv

Return to posts index

Keith Moreau
on Aug 9, 2010 at 5:05:40 pm

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the quick reply and the great info. I actually got a full trial from CatDV directly via a specific email request and response from Rolf the other day, so I do have the ability to save catalogs, etc, so I don't think that is the issue.

The problem is also intermittent, for example I've had my large catalog open overnight and didn't get the message again. Maybe it has to do with processor usage or perhaps having Final Cut Pro open at the same time, the processors have been relatively idle and I'm not concurrently running FCP right now.

I'm studying this forum now, as well as reading through your documentation and playing with it to get a feel of it. I have a pretty fast Mac 8 Core with a fast startup disk, have allocated 2GB to CatDV to try to maximize the performance. For me having one big catalog is more efficient for initially populating the catalog, as well as eventually being able to search. I realize the server version is probably better suited to being able to search through massive numbers of clips, I wanted to see how well the standalone Pro version fared. I haven't yet tried the server yet, but I plan to. Hopefully the trial license I received will work for this evaluation.

Thanks again, I think you have a great product and your support, particularly here in this forum is really a bonus!

-Keith

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Aug 11, 2010 at 3:41:47 pm

I'm not sure off hand what would cause that. I take it your home directory is a normal local drive, not a network home directory?

If you get strange errors, please mail the CatDV Error Log to support@squarebox.co.uk so we can investigate (as the log file often contains a lot more detail than the message that appears on screen).

Return to posts index

Eli Backs
on Mar 17, 2014 at 12:54:11 pm

Hi,
We also have the autosave error.
From time to time we also lose data while saving.
The user folders are on a network drive because we use redirected documents/appdata/pictures...
What's the cause?
Eli Backs
Sysadmin Woestijnvis NV

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 17, 2014 at 2:09:09 pm

Hi Eli,

Are you working with the CatDV server, or standalone .cdv catalog files? If you're using standalone catalog files and the volume that the catalog is on goes offline you may get an autosave error. You shouldn't lose any data though. Do File > Local Catalogs > Save As Catalog and choose another location for your catalog.

If you get strange errors, please mail the CatDV Error Log (accessible from the Help menu) to support@squarebox.com so we can investigate.

-Rolf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]