FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV 11 QT abilities

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
CatDV 11 QT abilities
on Sep 21, 2014 at 6:51:56 pm

From what I've read here CatDV 11 is a 64bit app. Does CatDV 11 still support QT reference? Has QT export changed? We rely on CatDV's ability to modify TC and Tape and embed that in movies exported from CatDV.

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: CatDV 11 QT abilities
on Sep 21, 2014 at 10:51:03 pm

Yes, CatDV 11 still supports exporting QT reference movies and flattened movies with your timecode using the Export As Movie command. It doesn't currently support the Add Timecode Track command to replace the timecode on existing movies but we could re-introduce that if there's demand for this (or you can use the optional legacy 32-bit version of CatDV 11). I'd suggest you download CatDV 11 though and request a demo license so you can try it out for yourself and let us know if there are any features you rely on which are missing. We have a new modular native player architecture that supports QuickTime as well as other new playback engines and you should find it to be much more capable than the old version.

-Rolf

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Sep 22, 2014 at 10:19:11 pm

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for the info. We generally don't need to modify TC but we do Reel, and unfortunately Reel is tied to the TC track. Without "Add TC Track" there is no way to change "Reel" so I would certainly like that re-introduced. Having said that I think moving to the more modern com.apple metadata is wise. The equivalent entry is com.apple.proapps.studio.reel. Ideally the re-introduction would populate both.

I posted a request, a few weeks back, to harvest metadata from a file's path as a way of automating embedding metadata. Using the enclosing folder name as the source for "reel", or other metadata entries, would be helpful. Resolve does this in addition to parsing it from a filename.

I'll be sure to get a demo license and test CatDV 11

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Sep 22, 2014 at 10:54:38 pm

Harvesting metadata from the file path is something you can do easily when importing files with the Worker Node. (For example, a lot of customers might use a naming convention like XYZ_0103_002.mov to mean season 1, episode 3, scene 2 of show XYZ, and you can pull things like that out into separate fields using a regular expression.)

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Sep 22, 2014 at 11:39:30 pm

[Rolf Howarth] "Harvesting metadata from the file path is something you can do easily when importing files with the Worker Node. "

I guess I'm asking for away to embed the harvested metadata in QT "reel" or other com.apple metadata

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 25, 2014 at 4:17:26 pm

John,

Note that writing to the metadata in QT can have interesting side effects. The main one is that it changes/breaks your MD5 checksum. So for a lot of places, this is a no no, since it breaks the chain of command, so to speak, from the file creation/archive.

This probably isn't a concern in your workflow but it's something to consider.

Pulling filepath elements and writing them to the QT metadata should be fairly simple using the Worker, you can also do it after ingest for files ingested via drag and drop so if this feature doesn't make it into 11, you are covered.

Also, the new "Actions" would likely make this possible in the client if you wanted to just write an action to do it.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Sep 25, 2014 at 8:45:46 pm

Hi Bryson,

We would not consider "punching metadata" into camera original files. I am interested in adding metadata into our 24p to 1080i processed footage. This is the media we link to and where we need our metadata ideally embedded into the file.

John

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 25, 2014 at 9:22:49 pm

I completely know that you would not, John. But many other less savvy users might, so I wanted to mention it here.

Trust that I know you guys can handle media... and lots of it. ;)

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Jan Fosserud
on Oct 7, 2014 at 1:07:02 pm

Is harvesting metadata from the file path also possible if you're just ingesting files i CatDV Pro? So if you drag and drop or import files into a catalog, it would pull certain parts of the filename?

A file with the name XYZ_0103_002.mov would then automatically update a field which has the episode number? (In this case 0103)

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Oct 7, 2014 at 4:45:29 pm

CatDV Pro has limited/no built in automation capabilities, in and of itself.

However, Actions, which are part of version 11 will be capable of many types of automation.

The main thing to be careful with these sorts of workflows is whether or not your media follows a strict (and I mean strict) path. Once we get into the meat of things, many workflows are unworkable in the real world.

For example, let's do an easy one. If you want the "parent" folder name entered into a field that's no problem with the Worker Node.

/Media_Volume/Projects/2014-08-07/clip.mov The parent is "2014-08-07"

That's easy, right?

But what if someone drops XDCAM EX in there?

/Media_Volume/Projects/2014-08-07/Card_07/BPAV/CLPR/clip.*** might be your path, and your parent is now "CLPR", which is not that useful.

It gets worse as you shoot and ingest more media types. Each type of camera/footage will give you a different outcome.

It can be worked out, but you need a different workflow/programming spec for each type of footage or you need to constrain your footage format and file paths obsessively.

The program would need a lot of intelligence to figure out what was going on and that's hard to do for all situations. This is why truly automated workflows tend to require a good bit of programming and error checking.

Throw this into a mixed Mac/Win environment and it all gets even harder to do well.

Note that this is coming from a guy who's company name includes the word "Automation."

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Jan Fosserud
on Oct 9, 2014 at 8:30:24 am

We run a very strict path and filename system, so I'm not so worried about that, but I guess it would involve a lot of job for a very simple thing and probably not worth it. It would be cool though :) Maybe I'll look into it some other time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]