FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving Multiple Catalogs in CatDV

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Mason
Moving Multiple Catalogs in CatDV
on Aug 25, 2014 at 4:30:42 pm

Good Morning,

We're in the process of restructuring our organizational tree within CatDV. Our content and assets are separated into multiple folders and over several individual catalogs. So you can see with the current "one catalog at a time", drag and drop, functionality of CatDV, this is going to be an extremely long process.

My question: Is there a way to move folders containing subfolders and catalogs all at once into other folders or to the root of our organizational structure? As is stands it could take me 2 full days to make this move with the amount of content we have and the current limited method.

Also, for various reasons having many subfolders and catalogs is the best way to organize our content and media.

Thank you in advance.

Justin Mason
Las Fret Media Group, LLC
(POPSUGAR Studios)

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Moving Multiple Catalogs in CatDV
on Aug 26, 2014 at 12:16:42 am

Can you explain "folders"? Do you have your filesystem folders mapped to catalogs or something?

"Is there a way to move folders containing subfolders and catalogs all at once into other folders or to the root of our organizational structure?"

This confuses me as it refers to "folders and subfolders" which are filesystem/OS items and then "Catalogs" which are CatDV db items.

The answer to all of them is the same, the Worker Node can move files to different folders and preserve or remove the file path and it can also move clips to different catalogs based on metadata. If we have more than a few catalogs of data to move, or reorganize, we tend to do it with Worker actions instead of manual moves.

For example, right now, I'm copying and renaming a set of 45,000 assets on my test machine to create a set of demo/test material. Each asset is copied to a specific folder on the drive, re-named and then moved to a catalog who's name is based on the hour of the day that the job runs. I started with 12 assets in one catalog, I'm up to 45,000 and will let it run til I hit 500,000 and several hundred catalogs all created and named automatically.

This is a still example, but it's useful to me and demonstrates that most any part of the catalog, clip or media file/path can be manipulated with the Worker Node.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Aug 26, 2014 at 3:42:53 pm

OK, so I wasn't the only one confused by the question.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Daryl Ashby
on Apr 3, 2015 at 2:08:45 am

I am also having the exact issue. I created a few thousand catalogues that I now need to move to another production group.

Doing it within catalogue browser is only a one by one affair which is just not practical.... Drag n dropping one by one in the client is also labourous.

I'm surprised there is not an option to select multiple catalogues in the catalogue browser to facilitate bulk editing.

Support were helpful in suggesting the "move to a" catalogue in the publish box in worker. With the right server query parameters this does work. Very slow but at least automated.

Look forward to a better option.

Regards
Daryl
Editlounge Pte ltd
Singpaore

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]