FORUMS: list search recent posts

Worker Node, Proxies, and Paths

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Metz
Worker Node, Proxies, and Paths
on Aug 21, 2014 at 7:38:09 pm

Greetings!

I'm wondering if what I'm seeing is expected behavior, or if I've got something wrong.

Running Worker on a MacMini server with proxy drive directly attached, and have Worker configured to generate proxies for the web client. Proxy directory is Server/Volumes/DriveName/CatDV Proxies/

I'm not using a watch folder, I am simply dragging and dropping items directly onto the Worker Node app. Since I have over 100 drives, each with 20 - 80 project folders, I'd like the structure of the drives mirrored on the proxy drive and broken out by volume.

Here's what I'm seeing - when I drop individual files, the worker automatically generates folders for the proxies into /CatDV Proxies/Volumes/ProjectDrive001/Project Folder/Media/File01.mov. This is exactly what I expected and the web client can see the proxies.

When I drop a folder (say, an entire project folder), worker places these files at /CatDV Proxies/Project Folder/Media/File01.mov. I'd like it to generate the structure inside the proper volume folder so that the web client can see them as well. If I manually move the errant folders into the correct volume folder, the proxies show up in the web client as expected.

Seems like it should be possible, but there's a ton to wade through!

Thanks for any suggestions,
Doug

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Worker Node, Proxies, and Paths
on Aug 22, 2014 at 2:01:54 am

This is not a "quick one", at least not for me.

I'd reach out to your dealer/integrator and know that the short answer is to not drag and drop batches onto the Worker Node. That will be looking at the preset root in the Worker action and not necessarily at the full path. Notice the "Relative to:" field in the Worker action.

There may be a way to get that path into the action, but we direct clients to set up actions by a server query and set a metadata flag to "create proxy" to trigger the Worker. That way it gets the full path and you can also get the flag to be set to "proxy created" or something so you can track what's done.

Free advice (and worth every penny.) Consider making h.264 mp4 files for proxy instead of mov. Android won't read mov and many PC's don't have it installed. Most every browser can play an mp4 now and you never know what you might want to do with those proxies down the road.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Aug 22, 2014 at 8:17:00 pm

[bryson jones] "I'd reach out to your dealer/integrator and know that the short answer is to not drag and drop batches onto the Worker Node. That will be looking at the preset root in the Worker action and not necessarily at the full path. Notice the "Relative to:" field in the Worker action.

Thanks, Bryson. That makes good sense. Do the importing in Pro, save, wait for Worker to pick it up that way.

[bryson jones] There may be a way to get that path into the action, but we direct clients to set up actions by a server query and set a metadata flag to "create proxy" to trigger the Worker. That way it gets the full path and you can also get the flag to be set to "proxy created" or something so you can track what's done.

Virtually everything I bring in will need proxies, so finding a way to have that happen automatically is what I'm after. Probably could set that flag on import, yes?

[bryson jones] Free advice (and worth every penny.) Consider making h.264 mp4 files for proxy instead of mov. Android won't read mov and many PC's don't have it installed. Most every browser can play an mp4 now and you never know what you might want to do with those proxies down the road."

That's actually what I'm doing... should have typed it that way! ;^)

Thanks again,

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Aug 23, 2014 at 12:12:29 am
Last Edited By bryson jones on Aug 23, 2014 at 12:18:00 am

As to "proxy everything" you can totally set the Worker to do everything just by setting a query to:

"if this field is blank, make proxy" but know that the minute you do that you'll almost certainly drop in a bunch of stuff that you didn't want proxy for. ;)

It's so easy to just set a flag on everything by selecting all that it's best to not have it do it "automatically". Also, if you have 10,000 assets in, the Worker would decide what goes first, so it's better if you just set the flags and then you can pick what goes first.

"Automatic" is great, but it needs to be in a controlled data set, nothing should ever be automatic across the whole database unless you just like watching your Worker run for weeks on end.

Also, it robs you of the ability to save temp versions of things. Setting up a server query is really interesting. Most people start with one flag/comdition to run something and then realize that that is a bit limited. The more you think the deeper your queries get. For instance:

If field 1 is set to X
Or field 7 is set to Y
But not if field 13 is blank
Or media path does not contain Z
Then do action.

Beware queries like, "do this action on everything regardless."

Final tip. Never use the "Notes" field for your own data. (The verbatim logger overwrites it.) And never use the "Status" field for anything. The Worker uses that sometimes and can overwrite your data without you realizing it. Create your own "notes" and your own status fields, preferably one for every action you do so that you can track when and what actions have happened. Also, writing a date and time to a separate field when an action runs is a great way to track automation. For every automated workflow we set up, we generally add 2 to 6 new fields to the db. Seems like a lot, but you can tell at a glance what processes have been performed on a file.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]