FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speeding up CatDV

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Mason
Speeding up CatDV
on Aug 6, 2014 at 5:51:02 pm

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for reading my post.

We have recently (last 2 months) started using CatDV to organize, tag and archive our assets. We handle 100's of assets daily and currently have a database in the hundreds of thousands (and growing). Our media (audio, video, stills, deliverables) are held on twelve 8TB volumes/drives. Over the last 2 months I have been ingesting and cataloging from these drives and preparing for archiving and backup.

So, this is where we're at now. I'm getting complaints of the load and query speed of CatDV. I experience this as well. Logging in can take several minutes. I wasn't here when the application was originally installed and I know that several things that were maybe... not done correctly. So I've gone in and cleaned up pick-lists and broke up several catalogs into smaller groups. I am getting with our IT soon to see about increasing the memory allocation.

My Question: What can I do to speed up CatDV and what are best practices moving forward to keep it running that way? What normally slow CatDV down?

Thank you again everyone!

-Justin M.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Speeding up CatDV
on Aug 6, 2014 at 7:46:06 pm

how many clips in the individual catalogs?
How "open" are the queries? That is, are there many limits on search parameters?

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Justin Mason
on Aug 6, 2014 at 8:59:54 pm

Our catalogs can vary greatly from just a few clips to about 300 assets (there are a few with thousands and I'm cleaning those up). I would say 100 assets per catalog would be a place to start. Those contain audio, video, stills and GFX.

As we are continuing to develop our tagging system and ingesting new media I have left my query VERY open. I have made changes and come to understand that the wide open search is the reason for the delay.

However, the more important concern of the powers that be is the load time of the application.

Thanks Robb!

Return to posts index

John Vaudin
on Aug 7, 2014 at 8:54:22 am

When you say load times - do you mean log on time or loading a catalog?

Return to posts index

Justin Mason
on Aug 7, 2014 at 5:28:55 pm

Apologies, I mean log on time. Catalogs for the most part seem to load just fine.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Aug 7, 2014 at 5:31:55 pm

Are you going between Mac and Windows systems? I had to move the server over to Windows. I find it's always slower connecting than when I had it on a Mac. My clients are all on Macs of various types

Return to posts index

Justin Mason
on Aug 7, 2014 at 6:05:13 pm

No, all mac. I did read something about moving to ms sql over mysql. Not sure its an immediate option. We would evaluate changing if needed after Q4.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Aug 7, 2014 at 6:42:40 pm

but are you passing through a windows server somewhere? I do and it slows down logging in.

Return to posts index

John Vaudin
on Aug 7, 2014 at 7:02:21 pm

If it's log in time then it's almost certainly loading very long pick-lists causing the problem. When you log in you should see some status messages appear in the bottom left hand corner of the main window - saying things like "Loading values for My Picklist" or similar. This should give you a clue as to what ones are causing the problem.

If that doesn't help then its probably best if you could run up a fresh copy of CatDV. Log in to the server, then go to Help -> Error Log and click Save Log Files and then email the resulting ZIP file to support@squarebox.co.uk and we'll take a look.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Aug 11, 2014 at 5:19:17 pm

Justin,

There are a ton of things you can optimize before you spend the money on MS SQL. Reach out to your dealer to re-evaluate your hardware and db config. There's usually a few hidden "gotchas" in there that can slow you down.

Also, always test the response on the server itself using a local copy of CatDV, if you can, to make sure that network speed is removed from the test.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]