FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering Sub-Clips

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Duncan
Rendering Sub-Clips
on Jul 27, 2014 at 9:07:14 pm

I'm trying to wrap my head around a workflow issue. We have a large volume of Media that's ingested into CatDV, it contains up to 30 cameras per sporting event with all the inputted data. Because they are full feeds of the day, we break them up into Sub-Clips.

When all is said and done, I'd like to render those subclips out so they're self contained movies. This is so CatDV can manage them to our LTO system and when we go to retrieve the exact thing we want, we aren't having to pull the whole camera feed.

But the only thing I'm finding is how to export a sub-clip as a movie.

Maybe it's a worker node solution/workflow? Or is there a way to make a sub-clip self contained and have CatDV convert it without having to recatalog those subclips?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Rendering Sub-Clips
on Jul 28, 2014 at 7:06:12 pm

Will can you clarify?

"When all is said and done, I'd like to render those subclips out so they're self contained movies..."

"But the only thing I'm finding is how to export a sub-clip as a movie."

Is this not what you are looking to do?

Anything you want to automate will be a Worker Node action.

You can do what you are looking to do by using the Worker Node to search for "Underlying Type" and the value for a sub-clip is "Secondary". Using that (and some other field mapping/status magic) you can set up a workflow to do exactly what you want to do... providing your LTO system is capable of being automated.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Will Duncan
on Jul 28, 2014 at 7:11:09 pm

Sorry for the confusion. I think I just want to convert the subclips (which are just metadata at this point?) to actual self contained movies in that project. And then write those to tape, without having to export, drop them back into CatDV (worker node or manual). Right now, when I export a subclip it's outside of CatDV and I have to reimport it. It's fine, but it's a hassle when you're talking about 150 subclips that have to be retagged.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jul 28, 2014 at 10:21:35 pm

That can't be done the way you would assume it would be.

If you export and then use the command line to update the subclip's media path, it will take your original clip offline.

This makes sense as CatDV likes a "sub clip" to be a true sub of the master.

However, there are many ways around this. I can think right now of a workflow that recorded the master clip info into a set of meta fields, exported your subclips as mov's with an XML and then re-imported them as new assets. This would break the "sub" reference but you'd have a record of where they came from and it seems that you less want the master/sub relationship and more want these clips as new items on their own but with all original metadata.

That should get you what you want.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]