IN and OUT from XML sidecar

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toni Popovic
IN and OUT from XML sidecar
on May 28, 2014 at 8:37:13 am
Last Edited By Toni Popovic on May 28, 2014 at 8:47:25 am

Hi,

I've been testing reading in and out points from and XML sidecar and can't seem to get it to work. The clip will always import in CatDV as having IN 0:00:00:00 and OUT IN+length. Is there a restriction that some fields are always read directly from the media and the rest from the sidecar? If there is a restriction, do you have any ideas of a workaround? I would like to avoid rendering new files and exiftool apparently does not have write support for .avi. Maybe change the IN and OUT from the Worker Node when publishing to server?

The problem is that my markers are in real time and the media file has a IN value of 0:00:00:00. I know the real time IN value for each media file (it's in the filename) so that is not an issue.

Best,
Toni Popovic

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: IN and OUT from XML sidecar
on May 29, 2014 at 3:26:13 pm

Toni, I've not seen this myself. However, I did some quick tests.

In my testing, I did not get the IN2 and OUT2 to come in from the sidecar file, even with the values set in the same 00:00:00:00 TC. We should get confirmation of this from Squarebox support.

It does make sense that your media and your in and out points would need to match up and also I'm fairly sure that CatDV would read the TC from the file over a sidecar but we should get support to confirm.

In the end, the "correct way" would be to do one of the following:

1. Translate your in and out points to 00:00:00:00 times and express them as a "Marker Range".I was able to get these to import. This destroys your start time.

2. A better way IMHO is to apply the correct start TC to your files.

In CatDV under Tools>Apply Timecode Offset you can do this. However, this does not, however change the start TC of the file, only updates the CatDV clip record.

It's looking like AVI might not be the best format for these files due to the TC and wrapper limitations. This translation can be easily done in QT and other wrappers.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Toni Popovic
on May 30, 2014 at 5:44:43 am

Thanks Bryson for your input. I agree with everything you said. One question though. Can I apply timecode offset from the Worker Node? I ended up doing a .avi -> .mov conversion and changed the timecode with ffmpeg, but I am always curious about new methods.

Best,
Toni

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jun 6, 2014 at 1:15:32 am

Sorry, I missed this one!

I don't think you can do TC offset with Worker but ffmpeg is really solid, glad you are using it. It really makes a lot of things possible.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]