FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG2 clips in CatDV - Windows QuickTime issue?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Langrall
MPEG2 clips in CatDV - Windows QuickTime issue?
on May 27, 2014 at 5:22:42 pm

I'm currently working on a Windows Server 2008 R2 installation of CatDV Pro, CatDV Enterprise Server and Worker Node.

Some of the clips we're ingesting are .mpg files (MPEG2 Muxed 1920x1080 @ 29.97). They play perfectly on a Mac with QuickTime 10.3 or 7.6.6, but QuickTime 7.7.5 on Windows with Apple's $19.95 MPEG codec installed is "quirky" in the way it treats these same clips. Playback either stops mid-clip, or simply jumps to the end of the clip. Playback in CatDV is similarly quirky. However, Worker Node is able to transcode the clips into usable proxies (h.264 in this case).

Has anyone else death with this?

-Charlie Langrall

Return to posts index

Dougal Matthews
Re: MPEG2 clips in CatDV - Windows QuickTime issue?
on May 28, 2014 at 11:08:40 am

Hi Charlie

Unfortunately as QuickTime on windows was always the poor relation it has some "quirks" compared to mac this has long been a frustration for us and we are moving away form QuickTime in CatDV 11 to circumvent these issues, but i'm afraid for now the best solution until CatDv 11 is released later in the year is to use worker to make proxies for you and view the proxies on the pc

Cheers Dougal

Improvise Adapt and Overcome

Return to posts index

Charlie Langrall
on May 28, 2014 at 3:07:50 pm

Thanks Dougal, that's what I suspected.

-Charlie Langrall

Return to posts index

Charlie Langrall
on May 29, 2014 at 3:43:17 am

I guess this raises a bigger question about how CatDV works with media frameworks: QuickTime, JMF and Xuggle.

I'm looking at a large media asset repository that has accumulated over the last 7+ years and contains a wide range of video formats, codecs, and wrappers. CatDV can import and play most of these files, but it does less well at rendering consistent proxies that can be played and tagged via the web client.

Is there a good source of information about media frameworks in CatDV 10 -- i.e. what is installed by default, and how to choose, install and use additional frameworks? Or is an external transcoding application (e.g. Telestream) the way to go with media this diverse?

-Charlie Langrall

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 29, 2014 at 3:33:57 pm

CatDV is super flexible and powerful but of course any system will have issues with a file from time to time.

In a very mixed environment such as you describe, North Shore would normally give it one or two alternate means of transcoding proxy and tune the actions to read the media format and send it to the most appropriate transcoder.

Ex. In RED workflows we use Worker Node for the Quicktime media and send the RED clips to REDLINE for processing. Works like a charm and it's good to spread the load a bit.

I can't wait to see 11, however, it'll make life much easier for us all.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]