FORUMS: list search recent posts

Faster Proxies / Worker Node

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Duncan
Faster Proxies / Worker Node
on Apr 16, 2014 at 2:51:44 am

I know this has been touched on before, but the answers I'm seeing are fairly dated. I'm playing catch up on some large shoots that need proxies created so we can get the footage offline for upcoming projects. The CatDV worker node is a godsend once you get it setup correctly for complex workflows, but that learning curve took some time.

The one hurdle I have is creating low resolution h264 proxies to keep online is incredibly time consuming at this scale. I'm looking at over a month in the queue, maybe more.

Has anybody had to scale up their abilities for a short period of time? Right now Episode looks like the only viable solution without going overboard and incorporating incredibly complex solution. What kind of time will that save me though?

Or is deploying multiple worker nodes going to be the only real viable solution to get through multiple files at once?

As it stands, my worker node is sitting on a Mac Mini with thunderbolt storage serving proxies and handling queue tasks. The machine rarely uses more than 10-15% of it's processing power.

I'm no expert at Worker Node though, still learning and jumping into the deep end with a ton of data as a backlog is fairly difficult. I'm hoping there is a fairly solution without burning an incredibly large budget.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Faster Proxies / Worker Node
on Apr 16, 2014 at 6:05:38 am

Multiple Workers are the easiest to setup and manage.

We use scripts to hand off jobs to ffmpeg and compressor when you want to push the processors. It's hard if it's temporary, as you can't really justify the expense of having it all set up.

Short term, run your clients at night doing the jobs. If you have 5 seats and a worker that's a lot of horsepower.

Long term there are a ton of solutions and you can really do some cool stuff with scripting clusters of machines. We have one client that can compress an hour of footage in 6 min

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Will Duncan
on Apr 16, 2014 at 6:09:42 pm

We have multiple clients and a single worker, but I'm only seeing a way to keep one item in the queue. Are you suggesting using each client for proxies as well as the worker? or do the clients all offload to multiple workers?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Apr 16, 2014 at 6:33:17 pm

Short term, I'm saying have CatDV Pro running proxy creation jobs on those machines.

The worker doesn't care where the jobs came from so there's no need for 1 client per worker.

The idea is to split the proxy jobs to multiple machines, think of a Worker as an automated client so...

5 clients and 1 Worker can do the jobs of 6 Workers but you have to run it all manually.

Start x number of jobs on the Worker and then x more on a client and then another "x" more on another client and so on. You'll be done in no time.

If that's too much hassle, then you have a great case for spending the money to automate it all.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]