FORUMS: list search recent posts

another reason why to buy this software

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carsten Orlt
another reason why to buy this software
on Jul 26, 2010 at 12:25:55 pm

Usually we post here to find the solution for a problem. Today I want to praise :-)

CatDV is quickly becoming a must have tool if you work with FCP (can't speak of other NLE's)

Today I solved a problem which is impossible to do within FCP.

I had a tape captured at a studio to safe me the hire and hassle to bring the VTR to my studio.
They made a mistake and the audio was out of sync. But I had to work with the footage over the weekend. So I logged the tape, sub clipped it and transcribed an interview.
Now because they captured the whole tape with 'capture now' they couldn't recapture the tape exactly as before resulting in a new QT movie with different in and out and therefor different length.
I was already sweating as I know I can't relink in FCP if the clip is not exactly the same.

Now the wonderers CatDV has a function called 'Attach media'. What this does is actually look for timecode within a media file to relink sub clips no matter what the original media was. Therefor I could actually relink my sub clips!! This is really a biggie because now media is defined by TC and Tape name and not by a QT file alone.

The one and only quarrel I have with FCP's media handling is now a thing of the past.

Anyhow I'm really exited about this :-) (and kick myself all day that I didn't buy it earlier..)

Carsten

Return to posts index

John Heagy
Re: another reason why to buy this software
on Jul 27, 2010 at 7:48:56 pm

Amen brother!

Reel and TC rule... since the days of Edison.

Linking by filename is a world of hurt.

CatDV gets it, unlike most other MAM's that started life cataloging images. They are all missing the 4th dimension: Time! To them it's an ad on, CatDV was built with it from the beginning and it shows.

You want to see something cool... drop files with a reel and TC... then drop an edl, ale, tabbed txt...etc, that have matching reel and are within the file's TC range... and watch them auto link!

John Heagy

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
still great but a little stumble block
on Jul 28, 2010 at 8:56:20 am

Unfortunately found a little bug which I already reported to CatDV

When importing those clips to FCP via XML (either drag and drop within CatDV or export - import xml file)
they create corrupted clips in FCP
Length of each sub clip is the whole QT file length.
Each sub clip has the correct part at the head
Audio is only on track 1 (probably due to the fact that the original capture was stereo and the second one 2x mono, it's fine in CatDV though)

I'm sure they'll come up with a fix :-)

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
Re: still great but a little stumble block
on Jul 28, 2010 at 9:10:44 am

Hi Carsten
fixed in next update out very soon

Kevin Duggan
CatDv

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
Re: still great but a little stumble block
on Jul 28, 2010 at 10:24:13 am

Thanks Kevin. I responded to Rolf directly because next version doesn't fix it.

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
Work around
on Jul 29, 2010 at 9:03:16 am

We worked out that by using Re-analyze media CatDV did update the incorrect audio track listing and than the XML export worked again.
If the Re-ananlyze doesn't work on a sub clip try to select 'undo' straight after and see if the clips are corrected.

Bit cumbersome but this worked for me :-)

Carsten

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]