FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cut up logged clips into individual clips?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Joynt
Cut up logged clips into individual clips?
on Mar 17, 2014 at 3:49:02 pm

We get huge 400-500GB 3 hour files, and then those are logged into 50-100 different clips.
It's really a pain to have the load the whole 500GB file into Premiere just to get a 15 second clip.

Is there a way, once the clip is logged, to export all of those clips individually (named as logged name) easily? Without re-encoding would be awesome, but not sure if that's possible with DVCProHD

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
Re: Cut up logged clips into individual clips?
on Mar 17, 2014 at 4:04:54 pm

Yes try using the send to Premiere command.

http://www.squarebox.com/send-to-premiere/

Return to posts index

Tyler Joynt
on Mar 17, 2014 at 5:01:52 pm

Send to Premiere hasn't worked since we updated to CC. New CatDV has "Send to Premiere CC", but it doesn't work. Even when it did, it didn't correctly set in and outs of the sub clip.
Even still, that's not what I'm looking for.

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Mar 17, 2014 at 6:03:23 pm

If your send to CC is not working can you please start a support ticket at support@sqaurebox.com. Sending a screenshot if it applies and or a log file would be great!

The send to CC or CS6 supports sub clips and so does the FCP7 XML and with the field mapping you could likely do what you want fairly easily with the naming.

Return to posts index

Tyler Joynt
on Mar 17, 2014 at 7:13:46 pm

Thanks. Not really sure how to send a log file, and a screenshot would just be of the right click dialog.Theres no error or anything, it just doesn't work.

When Send to Premiere worked, it still didn't properly send the sub clip. It would just send the whole file with no in's or out's given. But I'm trying to get away from that and just have the clip be it's own clip.

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Mar 17, 2014 at 7:58:39 pm

Yeah not much to screen grab in this case....
Try sending a log from CatDV Pro to support, here is directions on how to send them!
http://www.squarebox.com/exporting-logs-to-support/

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 17, 2014 at 4:20:15 pm

Are you asking about not having to move or link to the 500GB original file?

If so, Sending to Premiere will bring the whole clip over (test this but I believe this if how that will work). However, you can export a subclip, range or just an in and out point either with the client or the Worker and have it just re-wrap to the same codec. It'll create new media but not have to transcode. This "sacrificial" media can be deleted after the edit, leaving the master in the archive.

It seems inefficient, but in many workflows we'd rather give the editor a small piece and let them do what they want with the media, rather than link to or copy the whole piece. Is this what you mean?

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Tyler Joynt
on Mar 17, 2014 at 5:03:03 pm

This is basically what I want, but I'm looking to do it somewhat automatically, or on a bunch of clips.
I know I can do Export as> Movie, but it just names them whatever the "master" clip is named, not what the logged clips quick names are.

It's a lot easier on our system to have these smaller clips

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 17, 2014 at 5:18:21 pm

You mention they are "logged" into clips.

Do you create subclips or how are these split into "clips" otherwise?

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Tyler Joynt
on Mar 17, 2014 at 7:12:16 pm

I assume they're subclips. I haven't really spent much time with the logging process, but I believe we bring in the full MOV (it's a full football game broadcast, for reference), and then an intern sub clips out each play or various shots. What results is a list of clips with Quick Name, Footage Type, Notes, etc (lots of football specific data).

I just did Export As> Movies, but only like 4 had filenames, the rest were just the original filename with a number at the end. I need this to be the Quick Name.

From what I understood, FCP/QT Pro can cut up DVCProHD files without re-encoding them (not sure how, I've only done that with MPEG files) so I was hoping that would be possible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]